Ks2 sats...where to start

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Oshosh

Ks2 sats...where to start

Post by Oshosh »

Hello, now that all 11plus exams are out of the way. I would like my to help my DS with sats. But dont know how.

My DS is leval5b in maths, 4a in the rest of it. Where do i start. Pls help i am clueless.

Thanks
talea51

Re: Ks2 sats...where to start

Post by talea51 »

I have no idea either! There are links to previous SATS papers and I think I am going to start there.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Most primary schools do a stirling job of getting your child to work to their best potential for sats results, because it reflects directly on the school.

You can download all past papers if you wish, but check with the school which they may use as practice, or your ds will gain nothing for one or two mornings at school but pencil fatigue, whilst his mates go through the paper for the first time.

The school should have given you learning targets, which will include the need to make sure spag is up to scratch, you could always do extra work on that, and it will all be in good stead.
mummyjee

Post by mummyjee »

I have seen that past SATs comprehension included texts such as gullivers travels and travelling on..

what other texts would be similar?

and can someone please name some literature that it may be worth getting dd familiar with?

i am also a beginner with SATs. any info would be useful.

thank you
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I would google SPAG (spelling punctuation and grammar) , this is only the second year of schools doing it and so this year's year 6 will be unfamiliar with it, the spellings are fairly tough, even our top, very competent, spellers struggle a little. It will also benefit all their other school work. If you do comprehension work, focus on inference and using evidence from the text to support an answer. Again, these are weak areas for most children.

proficiency with multiplication tables underpins most of the maths, so working on them will help, saves time, which can then be spent on trickier questions.

Most of all , stress ---Read The Question!", you would be surprised how many marks get lost because the child hasn't read what they have to do, properly e.g give TWO reasons.

I'd concentrate on these areas, rather than past papers
mystery

Post by mystery »

What would you recommend for the SPAG please Yoyo? There seems to be so many different books that claim to do it but any that I have bought on Amazon have been a bit disappointing.

Is there something which sets out the required learning for the SPAG papers, or is it just a case of looking at the past papers to see what it might cover? I assume that the spellings are plucked out from the air but that the old DfE guidance "Support for Spelling" might be of use in giving some general idea of the level of complexity and possible words that might come up?

In my limited experience of my own daughters' schooling (currently year 5 and year 3) the amount of time that has gone into teaching spelling and grammar at school can be placed in a thimble, and the spelling lists that come home for the weekly test are not going to be much use in building up towards a SPAG paper.

Is there a level 6 SPAG paper or just a level 3-5 one?

Thanks.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'll have a word with the Literacy person and find out a bit more, Mystery. We had the new spellings before half term, so that we could set phonics/spelling groups throughout the school.

AS you say, there are a lot of books springing up as publishers notice an opportunity!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

There was a level 6 Spag paper last year, but unlike the level 5 paper, the level 6 includes a writing task.
DDs school had not even told the kids there would be a writing task let alone how it would be marked. No practise what so ever. One of her friends got quite upset because of it.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

talea51 wrote:I have no idea either! There are links to previous SATS papers and I think I am going to start there.

Is there a study guide for each of the subjects. Do they have Sats for science as well. I am no where close on what to do. Could someone pls let me know where to start.....i am clueless
Amber

Post by Amber »

Oshosh wrote:Is there a study guide for each of the subjects. Do they have Sats for science as well. I am no where close on what to do. Could someone pls let me know where to start.....i am clueless
You don't have to do anything. The school will spend every spare moment between now and May ensuring that your child is entirely familiar with what to do. Please spare him the agony of further prep at home.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now