A question about the Kent test in September 2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

A question about the Kent test in September 2013

Post by mystery »

If your child sat the Kent test in 2013, did you think that there were any of the following:

VR questions which do not fit into the 21 G L Assessment question types they explain in their VR Explained book, and which are in the 8 familiarisation papers?

NVR questions which do not fit the 8 GL Assessment question types they explain in their NVR Explained book, and which are in the 8 familiarisation papers?

thank you
MadHatter

Re: A question about the Kent test in September 2013

Post by MadHatter »

We'd prepped quite well (I think) for GL and my DS said he thought there was nothing 'out of the ordinary' on the VR/NVR papers (or maths for that matter) that didn't appear on the 8 GL practice tests. That said, he was exposed to quite a lot of others as well – Bond, Doughtrey, FPTP etc so he may not have noticed if something was a 'non-GL' type so I can't state categorically.

FWIW he also took the Bexley test for which we decided not to do any specific CEM prep (Kent was more important to us) other than two CGP CEM papers and the familiarisation test on the Bexley website. Nothing more – no cloze practice, no specific vocab work etc. Interestingly from the raw data I've seen he scored in almost exactly the same percentile in both tests, and that position is probably a pretty accurate reflection of where he sits in the cohort.

I can't imagine GL will have time to develop entirely new question types before the 2014 exam but you could take a guess that they'll borrow bits from CEM and elsewhere to mix things up a bit and will probably look to impose more time pressure. It's easy for me to be complacent with this all out of the way for us before DS2 has a go in a few years, but from our experience this year I would say just make sure your child reads as much as possible, make sure their maths calculations are solid, expose them to a wide variety of papers and work on their timing and they should do themselves justice.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thank you mad hatter. When you say bond do you mean their books, or the practice test papers?

And what was your etc?
MadHatter

Post by MadHatter »

Bond 10-minute tests and the age 9-10 and 10-11 practice test books (not all, we dipped in and out). Also some Bond "How to do". Letts practice tests. Some KS2 Sats practice tests (also Letts I think).
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sorry to be silly - what do you mean by bond practice test books? They have so many publications.
MadHatter

Post by MadHatter »

Without a copy in front of me I had to check on a well-known book site to remind myself (you'll be pleased to hear this 11 plus is a bit like giving birth - you're programmed to forget the detail just as soon as it's over!). I'm pretty sure it was the ones they call the Assessment Papers. It certainly wasn't the multi-choice ones, it was the ones in a book the same size as the 10-minute tests. They weren't our favourite though, as I say we dipped in and out and probably didn't touch them after about April.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thanks - yes we are doing the 10 to 11 maths one right now.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now