Manchester Grammar for Boys Year 6 assessment

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rimi01

Manchester Grammar for Boys Year 6 assessment

Post by rimi01 »

Please can someone give me pointers about Manchester Grammar School for Boys Year 6 assessment day. What do they test the kids on and what should I be doing.
Thanks in advance.
JSN

Re: Manchester Grammar for Boys Year 6 assessment

Post by JSN »

http://admissions.mgs.org/lower-school/ ... cess-lowe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the day involves creative writing, problem solving in groups and individually supervised by a teacher, they want to see if your child can cope with the fast pace of work, think independently, how quickly your boy can grasp new/unfamiliar concepts more holistc than simple interviews IMO?
rimi01

Post by rimi01 »

Thanks JSN. I want to know if they do sports, drama, interview etc as well. My son hates drama :lol: , so am bit worried if he will enjoy the assessment day or not.
Has your son been to the Assessment day?
JSN

Post by JSN »

assessment day is purely an academic assessment in lieu of interview. no games or drama.
MSG great take care that boys can cope with it's expectations, if your boy cannnot cope with the fast pace he will be miserable there and that benefits neither party.
excesively tutored boys (that sometimes slip through the interview process)will soon be found out!
rimi01

Post by rimi01 »

Thanks JSN. We were told on the open day that boys will be doing Drama and other activities on assessment day, apart from academic . So that worried me a bit.
rimi01

Post by rimi01 »

Hello all,
My son has been to MGS assessment day for Y6 entry and here is what they did on the assessment day :

1) They were asked to design and describe something that can travel on ice. They also had to give it a name.

2) A group discssion about "if you were going to Antartica, what things will you take",each boy had to pick one thing and explain why has he chosen it.

3) Reading comprehension

4) Creative writing - Animal in distress

5) Maths - Didn't do any normal maths paper. They taught a new topic and were given a test based on this topic.
6) Some science topic was taught and there was a quiz afterwards

This is all from my son's memory. My son felt the Reading comp was difficult and most of the work provided was challenging. He enjoyed the day and made some friends as well.

I think that if you are preparing , concentrate on Reading comp and creative writing. These are the only "tutorable" things that I could spot. Rest is all your child's potential.

I hope this post helps someone as I have been searching for some pointers on what they do on the day.
moved

Post by moved »

My half brother is there. He is no genius, just a normal bright lad. He had a tutor and attended a prep school. He is coping really well and is now in yr9.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now