kendrick exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kendrick mum ?

kendrick exam

Post by kendrick mum ? »

Does anyone have experience of what it was like dropping their daughter off on day of exam ie parking, time of exam, protocol,What was needed, how they felt etc , did the school staff put them at ease etc help appreciated thanks
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi,

Last year it was very wet, traffic very bad, I caught bus and dropped son off at Reading they do the test on the same day just to add to the congestion :) . On the way back I saw the queues out side Kendrick. Hopefully somebody with direct experience can help further.

Good luck for the big day. :) Please share your experience.

stevew61
kendrick mum?

kendrick exam

Post by kendrick mum? »

Thanks Stevew61 The kendrick site does appear to be particularly unsuitable for dropoff by car, public transport could possibly be the best solution if possible. Would love to hear of experience from anybody who did last year. How long did the whole process take? Should D take a snack and a drink ? Are the girls told not to write on the exam paper? Are they provided with scrap paper for workings out? Any other useful advice or tips? Thanks in anticipation. Kendrick mum?
kendrick mum

kendrick exam day 2007

Post by kendrick mum »

The kendrick exam day was on 17th November 2006 last year and it was an extremely wet day.We live in langley therefore we took a train well in advance and reached reading about an hour before scheduled time.We took a taxi from the station and promptly reached the school within 7 minutes.
We saw a handful of students and parents already standing near the gate situated towards the london road.Possibly because it was raining a staff member came outside 45 minutes before the exam and took the girls inside and the parents were asked to report at the reception to collect the girls after exam.
My daughter said that 6th formers supervised them after they went inside and my daughter said she felt very settled and organised.The children were asked to switch off mobile phones and deany other bags,purses etc in boxes allocated for the purpose.
My daughter carried stationery in a transparent bag and a sandwich and small bottle of water in another transparent bag.You are allowed a bottle of water during exam.

The verbal test was the first one and after which they had a break for about 30 minutes.The girls were able to have their snack and go to the toilet etc.

The nonverbal exam was sections and each section was timed and the girls were strictly advised not to go on to next section even if they completed the previous one and wait for instructions. The girls were allowed to write on the exam paper and not provided any scrap paper and were advised to refrain using the marking space for working out problems etc

There is no parking in the school however there are few short period parking spaces available on kendrick road near abbey school.There is ample of parking in Oracle although retrospect i do feel i did the right think by taking the train instead of going by car.

I hope i answered some of your questions.
kendrick mum?

kendrick exam

Post by kendrick mum? »

Hi kendrick mum

Thanks for all your input just what was needed (some how feel better prepared)

Thanks again
Kendrick mum? :D
kendrick mum

Post by kendrick mum »

i am glad you found the information useful.
Terri

Post by Terri »

My daughter is in year 7 at Kendrick now, I can't add much except ,do take a drink and a generous snack,pack pencils in clear plastic pencil case.The girls are colour coded and herded off into different rooms rooms, the 6th formers were very nice to them and held small quizes to put the girls at ease before the tests. They are released alphabetically but not in any order.
The weather was truly dreadful last year and we left half an hour early and just got there on time.
It is a crush as there are hundreds of girls and parents, so have some private words of encouragement before you get to the entrance .

Wishing your daughter the best of luck.
kendrick mum?

kendrick exam

Post by kendrick mum? »

Hi Terri,

Thanks for your input, it so de-mystifies the whole process atleast we will know what to expect on the day.SO THANKS. I just wonder if anybody knows exactly how many questions there are on the paper and how long they have. I have the nfer standard papers, do they totally reflect what is served up on the day?. On Reading Borough Councils' website it says that the exam takes approximately one hour does that mean exactly 1 hour or fifty minutes?It doesn't even mention the number of questions. Any info gladly received , thanks in anticipation.

Kendrick mum?
Terri

Post by Terri »

Kendrick Mum?,

The NVR paper was 1 hour split into sections, they strictly monitored the sections and timing so you can't spend less time on one and more on another.They give a few additional minutes with each section to look at 2 example questions.
The VR paper was also one hour,my daughter can't remember how many questions there were.

I saw some feedback on the open evening, it is so busy (and there are several 'sittings') that its probably difficult to create an intimate atmosphere.Our experience has been really positive, the school are handling settling in very well, my daughter feels safe and happy, and we feel we know what the framework is.
kendrick mum?

kendrick exam

Post by kendrick mum? »

Hi Terri Thanks for your reply I'm sure this time next year entrance exams will seem a distant memory but at the moment its the crunch time for d and I . I wish I had found this site earlier its good to contact people who have been through it already. Even simple info is hard to find.why are the instituitions so secretive? I thought it was fairly simple:-
1. how many questions on each paper?
2 how much time given.?
I noticed that the nfer sample paper allowed 50mins but on the website it mentioned papers lasting one hour. In my quest to learn further I phoned nfer directly who told me they give kendrick a number of questions its up to them whether they use all the questions or half of them and the time allowed. None the wiser I phoned the school who directed me to the sample papers but would still not comment further, as I had supplied my name i didn't want to appear to pushy.Am I being too pedantic , Am I asking for too much?
Comments welcome
Kendrick mum? :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now