KEY STAGE 1 and maybe Foundation Year Section Suggestion.

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MSC

KEY STAGE 1 and maybe Foundation Year Section Suggestion.

Post by MSC »

Could we have a Key Stage 1 Section please?! :-) For good measure, might as well add Foundation Year too. Any support for this?! I've seen posts on KS1 Papers here in KS2 section, so there's obviously a need for it. I was about to say please click "LIKE" if you support - LOL. But no LIKE button, so please say YES PLEASE, instead ! Thanks.

P/S Edit: I edited the beginning of this post so that it won't provoke an endless mud slinging about testing or preparing chldren at early age. As I said, my point with this thread is - there are quite a few posts on KS1 mixed in his KS2 section and there will be more, so Im requesting a separate section and make it easy to find. Purely for ease of finding them. I believe this forum is here for everyone to use, but if you are the owner and founder of this wonderful website and forum, then by all means I repect you decision, you can do what you want - its your website, its your forum. If you are just a member of this forum, then keep in mind that this forum is for everyone.

As stated in the About page;

"This site was created to help all the other parents ...."

"The aim of this website, ElevenPlusExams, is to provide all the information and support to guide your child confidentally ..."

I really like this phrase - "As if life is not already stressful enough... " :-)

Much love <3
Last edited by MSC on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
MSC

Re: KEY STAGE 1 and maybe Foundation Year Section Suggestion

Post by MSC »

Here are some of the KS1 thread I found via quick search;

Sats keystage 1 advice please-reassurance needed.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 33&t=31108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Key Stage 1 SATS paper
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 33&t=32025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KS1 Spelling
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 33&t=16684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KS1 SATs
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 33&t=15091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure there are more.
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
mystery

Post by mystery »

I second it. My children are too old but never mind.
Amber

Post by Amber »

And predictably, I say 'no'. Anything which encourages parents to start thinking they ought to be preparing small children for tests, at foundation stage or KS1, is something I would vehemently oppose. Don't agree with the testing so definitely don't agree with upping the anti and making it worse than it already is.

You knew I'd say that, didn't you? :wink:
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

I'm with Amber - I would be all up for a bit of Foundation/Key Stage 1 support but not in response to the introduction of Year 1 testing.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

I'm with Amber and PP-Mum too - anything for EYFS should just read 'let them play' ...

JD
MSC

Post by MSC »

Lol, Amber.

I don't think the introduction of a subsection in this forum will make any difference as to whether parents will prepare their children early or not though. Parents will do what they want to do, the presence or absence of a subsection in a forum will not encourage or discourage anyone :-). My point is, there are quite a few posts on KS1 already anyway and there will be more, so why not separate them and make it easy to find. Purely for ease of finding them. The forum is here for everyone to use. :-)
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Any support for this?!
No, sorry. Just my view.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sure. But to my mind even a forum devoted to it seems tantamount to approving it and for me that is a step too far.
JamesDean wrote:I'm with Amber and PP-Mum too - anything for EYFS should just read 'let them play' ...JD
Absolutely. We are still the only country where we accept any kind of regulation of what toddlers and even babies are supposed to be doing at nursery...and then assess them on it; at the same time as employing often very poorly skilled and poorly paid people to do it.

If parents really want to prepare children for tests when they are five or six then let them find the resources elsewhere, but please not on here.
mystery

Post by mystery »

But the op doesn't say it has to be about preparation for tests. In fact there aren't any formal externally marked tests at the end of ks 1 anyhow. They were scrapped years ago.

The year 1 phonic decoding check has done its second year now. It is a very brief check - takes about 5 mins and should be with a teacher the child is already used to reading to.