11 plus appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
worried mum in crisis

11 plus appeal

Post by worried mum in crisis »

hi
im a mum who like every mum wants the best for their children ,my little boy has just had his results for the 11 plus and he has failed by 15 points he got 205,107 for the verbal and 93 for the non verbal , my father on the morning of the 1st paper exam had a major heart attack at 615 in the morning and although my head was everywhere i kept it together for my little boy .He finished the paper and i think it was quite a good score but has the 2nd paper was only a week away and my dad critical i was divided into 2 .The 2nd paper he was not so lucky and only got 93 when alot of the other boys were averaging 138 .I don't no whether it is due to the stress of the family or he would still have got that score but i feel has a mum i should appeal but does it stand ground or do i lay it to rest and let go?
Has you can see im such a dilemma i don't know which way to turn please help any advice welcome .
I don't know whether it helps but i had to appeal for him to go to the school he is at now and it took nearly 6 weeks for him to get in last year. :?
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hello,

I am assuming that you are in Lincolnshire. You have been through a really rough time and I am so sorry for all of you.

You have very strong mitigating circumstances but I am afraid that even so you would have a very uphill struggle to succeed at appeal with these scores. You need to find out just how strongly your primary school could support you with alternative evidence of your son's academic ability. You would need to be able to present very good and specific evidence of very high academic ability to have a chance of success.

I am sorry not to be more encouraging and I would never suggest that anyone give up if they really feel that their child should be in a Grammar school, but going through appeal can be a gruelling process in itself so it is best to be clear at the outset just what you will be facing.

If you would like to register and pm me I may be able to give you some more specific advice and discuss alternatives with you.

Best wishes
JIMBO

to worried mum

Post by JIMBO »

I have just read your concerns over your little boy who failed by 15 points. R u in Lincolnshire? IF so I would like to hear from you. My son failed by 4 points after being given the wrong paper initially and having to do another a week later - he also has special needs!!
I think it depends on the school he is applying to.
Katie

Post by Katie »

I've just read your post and it brings up a question which has troubled me all along with my own appeal.

If a child has underperformed due to difficult circumsatnces - then why does everyone involved persist in comparing the low score with children who were untroubled by either illnes or emotional circumsyances during the same test?

If a child is under the weather for whatever reason - they are unlikely to do their best. That would then explain why a child who otherwise performs well has produced an unexpected low mark.

Good luck with your decision. We have just been through a particularly difficult appeal where criticism of the clerk and school involved produced a most unexpected result. In order to deflect blame from himself - the clerk responded by sending a document which could only be described as a character assasination to several parties who were not involved - including a senior member of staff at my employment. Be very very careful in deciding what you do - and the very best of luck. :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Leaving aside the particular circumstances of Katie's appeal (for which I have a great deal of sympathy and concern), appeal panels have very difficult judgments to make.
a child who otherwise performs well
Assessing the academic evidence is not entirely straightforward.
  • KS2 SATs predictions? - SATs are not comparable with the 11+.
    Other standardised tests such as CATs? - They are standardised differently, and carried out under less stressful conditions.
    Headteacher recommendation? - Panels know that headteachers often tend to be over-optimistic.
In my view IAPs should take account of the totality of the academic evidence, and look to see whether all (or most) of the "indicators" are present. See Q&As, B11.

And assessing the extent to which a child was affected by particular circumstances is hardly an exact science either. If the pet rabbit died the night before the 11+, might it explain a shortfall of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 marks? And what adjustment should be made if it had died 2 days before the 11+? Or a week? Or ten days? Or two weeks? Or three weeks?

I think most panels would sympathise with Worried Mum's traumatic circumstances as described above, especially if she submits evidence with the date of her father's hospitalisation, but even she acknowledges: "I don't know whether it [the result] is due to the stress of the family, or he would still have got that score."

I agree with Alex - I think the key to her appeal is whether there is strong alternative academic evidence to indicate that under normal circumstances her son would have qualified.
Etienne
Katie

Post by Katie »

Here here!
a worried mum in crisis

hi

Post by a worried mum in crisis »

hi everyone thanks for all your support and now we have calmed down and the shock settled we have decided not to appeal i dont think my son can handle another body blow although the head mistress said she would be on our side she did say that he was their wild card and couldnt say 100% he would have got 220 she said maybe 216 - 218 mark which means he wasnt good enough for grammer in our eyes he will always be good enough and maybe next yr when all the stress has calmed down we will put him in for the 12+ but he might be enjoying his new school and not want to take it .good luck to you all that are appealing and i hope next yr when my other son :roll: is doing it i find it a little easier lol!
Alex

Post by Alex »

With supportive, encouraging parents like you I am sure your son has a bright future ahead of him. Wish you and him all the very best.
Katie

Post by Katie »

This might sound strange - we wanted minimum stress for our children who all took the 11+, none were tutored and we knew it was a bit of a lottery with some of their peer group having had 2 yrs tutoring, some being a year older etc. etc.
We told our children that whatever the outcome they would be treated to a "celebration" - the celebration was a reward for going to the exam, not for the result!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now