Braces

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ginx

Braces

Post by ginx »

Dd1 (14) yesterday had "block" braces fitted. She's been waiting about a year to see the orthodontist, her top teeth stick out badly. In the past, a dc has refused to sit next to my dd1, saying she "can't close her mouth". As a result, dd1 mumbles.

She had been counting the days till she got her block braces. For the first few hours she couldn't stop dribbling. Because her lower jaw has been bought into line with her top jaw (the problem is her jaw more than her teeth), none of her teeth "meet" and she is finding eating impossible, she couldn't sleep, because she had to keep the braces in.

Does anyone else have experience of these braces? Presumably it won't be long before she can eat more solid foods again (nothing, right now, unless it melts, or is in liquid form).

I'm very proud of her for keeping them on, when they obviously aren't comfortable. In a funny way, I didn't want her to wear them, because I love her the way she is. However, she has pointed out that she would love herself a little if her teeth and speech were better.

Anyone have an experience of braces? How long before her teeth meet so she can eat? Any advice? Many teenagers seem to wear braces.
Warks mum

Re: Braces

Post by Warks mum »

We found this thread useful during DD's braces months last year:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... es&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The dental wax stuff was useful to prevent rubbing over the long term.

We've come out the other side now and DD says it was definitely worth sticking with it!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I don't know what block braces are, but DD had braces - her teeth were really protruding - she had them in 18 months, having had them taken off 3 months ago (the length of time it takes is different for each individual, depending in how the teeth resist the repositioning) When the dentist took them off it was like looking at someone who'd had really expensive dental work done, the job was so good I refer now to her Hollywood smile.

It's a lot of work for the dc's but the rewards are wonderful. If your dd wants this she will find it easy to stick with and she'll be thrilled with the results.

PS: don't forget, for emergency wax, you can use the red wax off baby bels (dd's dentist advised this :D )
Last edited by Snowdrops on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

ginx wrote:Dd1 (14) yesterday had "block" braces fitted. She's been waiting about a year to see the orthodontist, her top teeth stick out badly. In the past, a dc has refused to sit next to my dd1, saying she "can't close her mouth". As a result, dd1 mumbles.

She had been counting the days till she got her block braces. For the first few hours she couldn't stop dribbling. Because her lower jaw has been bought into line with her top jaw (the problem is her jaw more than her teeth), none of her teeth "meet" and she is finding eating impossible, she couldn't sleep, because she had to keep the braces in.

Does anyone else have experience of these braces? Presumably it won't be long before she can eat more solid foods again (nothing, right now, unless it melts, or is in liquid form).

I'm very proud of her for keeping them on, when they obviously aren't comfortable. In a funny way, I didn't want her to wear them, because I love her the way she is. However, she has pointed out that she would love herself a little if her teeth and speech were better.

Anyone have an experience of braces? How long before her teeth meet so she can eat? Any advice? Many teenagers seem to wear braces.
Hi Ginx my dd has been wearing twin blocks since September. Like your dd she could barely eat or speak for the first few days. I had to give her mashed potato/porridge/ mushed up spag bog but she was eating more and was happier after about a week or 2. I think she adapted to cutting up her food more as here front teeth were apart but I think she might be able to bite with her front teeth now. She has worn the braces for about 4 months and the change is dramatic and the her overjet has reduced from 6mm to 3mm so I think she will be progressing on to extracttions and fixed appliances after Christmas. I am amazed how well she has adapted. Hope little Ginx is ok
regards DC
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, DC17C.

I fail to imagine how anyone can eat when none of their teeth meet, but it's very encouraging to read comments assuring me that her teeth will improve - 6mm to 3mm is amazing.

Littleginx (who is my height, not so little!) has been very brave and grown up about it so far. I did wonder if she took them out in the night, but she's 14, I wasn't desperate for her to wear a brace, it's up to her. As she didn't sleep well owing to discomfort, I imagine she did wear them - as she said.

Mashed potato and banana for tea.

I don't know about your dd, DC17C, but my dd1 looks totally different now. She can close her mouth, and you can see her lips! It looks like she's had botox, and her mouth is quite pretty. I haven't seen her mouth like this since she lost her baby teeth. She used to suck her fingers, pulling her teeth outwards. She has a big gap in the middle of her front teeth - that's her and what's wrong with a gap? but already the orthodontist was discussing getting rid of the gap.

I still feel - there was nothing wrong with how she was - but I want her to be happy, and I am going to pass on your comments. Thank you. This will also help her speech; she has to open her mouth wide to talk, to get over the "blocks" so we can understand.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Both DD1 and DS had orthodontic treatment involving twin blocks, and both hated this stage of the process! In both their cases it was used as an interim between removable braces and fixed train-track ones, and the purpose was to improve jaw alignment (both have a slight overbite) as well as to straighten the teeth. DD now has a super smile and looks great in her uni photos, which helps to spur on DS when he is finding the treatment heavy going! However, neither of them wore the blocks for eating - I'd have thought that was virtually impossible? :? They also found continuous wear difficult as you're supposed to take them out for sports and when playing a wind/brass instrument (all activites they were/are involved in). We were advised that, although continuous wear is best, if they are not worn continuously they will still be effective but that stage of the process will take longer. This seems to have been the case with DS, who is getting his train tracks fitted next month having had the twin blocks for about a year.
Marylou
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I know we are only supposed to put pictures in rehab, but hopefully the mods won't mind this one.

By block braces do you mean something like this

If so my DD has been wearing one of these since March to widen her upper jaw (and hopefully encouraging her bottom jaw to move forwards at the same time, which thankfully it has). She had to wind it up ever week to slowly increase the width of her jaw and push the front bit forward. Overall her jaw has widened by about 6mm and forward 4mm, so her canines now have space to grow into, before there was no room at all. (And she doesn't need any teeth removing either)

The dentist told her she could take it out to eat. Early on there was a lot of dribbling and her speech was terrible, but it quickly settled down. It certainly didn't cause any pain.

She has got to the stage where the winding up has stopped and she is wearing it purely as a retainer until the canines come through completely. At some point later she will need the 'train track' fixed braces, but that will be for final adjustments.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Wow, that's some contraption.

It does make you wonder how they manage wearing that.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DDs one has a bit at the front too. :lol:
She only has two metal bits on hers and they are thinner than these ones.
It's also sparkly blue, she got to choose the colour, with a small picture of a horse on it.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Twin blocks are upper and lower removable appliances with ramps over the molar teeth to push the lower jaw forwards I was looking at some images but could not copy them into my post. I have noticed my dd's speech has improved - she had a bit of a lisp to begin with but she used to be very lazy with the "th" sound which she often replaced with a "d" sound . She had speech therapy but remained fairly lazy about it but now it has disappeared. I suspect she is having to think more about where her tongue goes to speak.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now