A few queries re level 6 English

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nuru

A few queries re level 6 English

Post by nuru »

Dd and I are keen for her to be able to have a go at the level 6 english sats tests in May. This is well within her grasp, given the right input at school. However, school do not seem particularly geared up and are fairly dismissive of anything to do with level 6 English (they do boosters for maths).

We have parent consultations next week and so I just wanted to get some background information/opinions in advance of that. Do most schools run additional sessions for potential level 6 children? Are there different elements that need to be learnt for level 6 English that cannot be covered through differentiation in the classroom?

Thank you.
DC17C

Re: A few queries re level 6 English

Post by DC17C »

My DS did the level 6 english tests last year and I don't think they did any particular extra classes - there were just a few children working at level 5a who were given level 6 past papers to try. My ds did not pass any of the past papers so i did ask if there was any point in his doing the actual SAT paper and was told that the school had to be seen to be providing work for the high achievers. It appears attitudes vary from school to school. It was the first year the school had tried the english papers - not sure if they will this year
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

My oldest son was put in for both L6 Maths and English, and my youngest will be this year. The school uses a differentiation approach in class - so no "extra" lessons for either, just what is delivered normally, to the level of the child. Teacher was very clear that he would not grade any child actually at L6 English (a huge element is teacher assessed) regardless of the result in the actual test as it has to be over a continuum, not just the test. My oldest did achieve a L6 in the test but the teacher assessment was 5A (and I assume my youngest will get the same). Many schools locally opt not to offer the L6 English test, (and some don't offer the L6 maths, either), possibly for that reason (ie that the teacher assessment still would not be a L6) - certainly it has not had any detrimental effect on my oldest - he is Year 8 now and is expected to achieve a L8 by the end of the year. We just looked at the L6 English as good practice for what he would face in the future at secondary school.
moved

Post by moved »

They may be put off by the rounded percentage of the cohort who achieved L6.

From memory
Maths 2%
English 0%

Maths 7%
English 0%
Grammar, etc. 2%

Obviously it wasn't actually 0%, but plenty of children didn't get the level and then went on to be assessed as L6 in term 1 of year 7 because writing is then taken into account rather than just comprehension and inference.

The tests only ever give a threshold mark, which is why there was an 8% drop in L3 at KS1 when it became teacher assessed. The test indicates just scraping the level; teachers give levels to children who are secure in that level.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Our posts crossed.

the level 6 test is in spelling, punctuation and grammar. There is also a level 6 reading test. Writing is teacher assessed at ks2. It is hard to get the level 6 reading and the teacher assessed writing, but the spelling, punctuation and grammar should be within the realms of possibility if your child learns the stuff.
moved

Post by moved »

I was surprised at how easy the GPS test was.
MSC

Post by MSC »

moved wrote:I was surprised at how easy the GPS test was.
GPS test? May I know what test is that? (or is it CGP?)

Thanks.
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling.

Otherwise known as SPAG (without the sauce :lol:)...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MSC

Post by MSC »

Ah! SPAG / GPS..of course.. Duh! :lol:

This is an interesting thread indeed for me. Just had the term consultation with DS's teacher (Year 5). Whilst saying that DS is Level 6 candidate, she repeatedly said English Level 6 is "really really hard to achieve... ". From last year's result, it's obviously very hard. Having said it herself that DS is capable, she seems to say that she / the school can't / won't really help him further. The school also appears to be very reluctant to divulge fully the school's policy on level 6. Further probing questions on it were answered vaguely, preceeded by deep long sigh! Anyone had this experience too?

Just to understand this level 6 thing, is anyone using any special materials, books, resources to help their DCs for L 6?
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
mystery

Post by mystery »

No, but I am expecting similar. They don't seem to teach spelling, punctuation and grammar according to the kind of stuff needed for the level 3 to 5 paper, let alone the level 6 paper.

On this thread people refer o an English level 6 paper. There is o such thing. There is a spag level 6 paper, and a reading level 6 paper.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now