Any views on A level courses in Computing and Music

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moose

Any views on A level courses in Computing and Music

Post by moose »

My son is in highly competitive GS. He is doing 3 Sciences and he is hesitating between Computing and Music as his 4th subject.

Is Computing actuall worth doing? It is in the last group of subjects recommended by Russel Group Unis.
Is it as bad as ICT for GSCE? My son did not enjoy it at all.
How time consuming is Music course at A Level?
Thanks.
nts

Re: Any views on A level courses in Computing and Music

Post by nts »

Computing is not required even if you intend to do computer scienece at university.

If he is to do 3 sciences, the best thing for him to do is at least AS Maths, not Computing or Music, in my opinion anyway.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Totally agree with nts.

If he is aiming to do a Science degree he is seriously limiting his choices without maths. Just check a few course on the UCAS site ...
KB

Post by KB »

Further endorsement of the above.
Wouldn't have though that the school would be happy with him not taking maths.
Not only will he struggle to find a decent science course at Uni but might also find several units of the sciences could be tricky - he will certainly end up doing more work to make up for not taking Maths, especially in Physics.
Even if he is going to focus on biologcal sciences then maths would be helpful.

Woud really strongly suggest that he reconsider- out of concern not a wish to interfere!
moose

Post by moose »

Son moved 6th Form and is doing 3 Sciences and decided to go for Maths i/o Music and Computing.
In his first test in GS this year he did exteremly well in 3 Sciences, achieving over 90% in Physics and Chemistry, but bizarrely getting only 35% in Maths. I do not quite know, whether he is not able at Maths or just not doing enough work (or both:)))
He does not seem to like Maths.
I am getting really concerned that he will spoil his results with bad AS Maths grade (he is adament he wants to drop Maths after that).

We advised he should apply himself more until next tests in January and then we mihgt neet to find a tutor, if his grades are still low.

Can anyone recommand good revision methods/materials for Maths?
The kids are never ending pain!
KB

Post by KB »

Please go in and see his maths teacher with him before Christmas and try to find out what the problem is - lack of effort or a fundamental lack of understanding?
Are the topics being taught properly or there others in the class who swan through so the teacher gets the impression they don't have to explain in detail?
How has been doing with homework?

Once you have go to the bottom of what the issue is you then have the Christmas holidays to make real progress in dealing with it.

If you leave it until after the next tests then there is going to be quite a lot of pressure as not that much time before revision starts for AS exams.

At this point he needs to get the basic understanding rather than revision.
Start with the text book - it should cover everything.
And does the school intranet have support material on it?

If you decide you need a tutor rather than the school being able to provide clinics then much better to get a couple of targeted sessions asap to get him back on track.

He should also be aware that he really needs a decent grade in maths to give himself a decent chance of a good Uni place for science. AS rather than A level might be enough but for Chemistry and Physics its marginal and anything less than an A grade at AS could negate his great science grades. He may not enjoy maths but realistically it is not an optional extra. Is there a science teacher at school who he respects who would talk to him about the need for maths for degree level science?

Teenagers - don't you just love 'em!
KenR

Post by KenR »

Agree with the other posts re AS Maths

Have reservations about A Level Music, many people (including one head of music at a top GS) do not like the current syllabus and recommend not to take it. It often doesn't really reward good or outstanding musicians.
moose

Post by moose »

Thank you KB for your valuable advise. I have not logged in for a while. We had a parents meeting in Dec. Science teachers were very happy about his very high standard, and he is hoovering near the top of his class in his Grammar School in Sciences, however his Maths teacher confirmed he is able, but on a lazy side.
He is having 'a big' test on Monday. I hope to see some improvement, as DS understood something has to be done and started learning.
We might take a tutor from the end of the moth disregarding the results. After all it is only few months to go and some people tutor their kids all the time (which I disapprove).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now