ANswered already, thanks, mod remove?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

ANswered already, thanks, mod remove?

Post by Yamin151 »

HI

Shot in the dark that someone can help. DH wants swanky phone for Christmas. I have bought it, it is sim free, worked out better in the long run. I have also ordered a GIff Gaff sim for said electronic toy (Opps, I meant technical crucial office equipment :lol: ). He thinks he isn't getting it until March when our contract runs out. So secret is the key word here!
Since current phone on contract is in DH name, I can't ring up and get the PAC code to keep his number. This is nothing more than irritating as with a mere few days delay he can ring up for it after Christmas, BUT, just wondering if in the meantime his 'three' monthly contract SIM will work in a SIM free phone, i.e its not supplied by or contracted to any mobile phone company. Bit like getting sweets and not being able to open them otherwise!
Have tried to access online account and send message, but not sure of our passwords and anyway they will text it to DH phone!!
Last edited by Yamin151 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Re: Mobile sim expert anyone? 3 sim into sim free mob?

Post by Tinkers »

As long as the SIM free phone isn't locked to a particular network, then yes you should be able to put in his current SIM and the phone should work.

If it is locked to a particular network, them you can get it unlocked. This can be by getting a code from various online websites or having to take it somewhere to do this, but if it's just a case of waiting a few days to transfer the number across, I guess you won't bother.

Btw, I transferred my number from virgin to giffgaff a while ago and it all went smoothly. I asked for the PAC from virgin on a Thursday, and they gave it to me straight away. Told Giffgaff that afternoon and they changed me over sometime on Friday. ( I was in a meeting all morning so don't know quite when or how long, but did miss out on my sister phoning me to tell me she had secretly got married. :lol: )
Yamin151

Re: Mobile sim expert anyone? 3 sim into sim free mob?

Post by Yamin151 »

Tinkers wrote:As long as the SIM free phone isn't locked to a particular network, then yes you should be able to put in his current SIM and the phone should work.

If it is locked to a particular network, them you can get it unlocked. This can be by getting a code from various online websites or having to take it somewhere to do this, but if it's just a case of waiting a few days to transfer the number across, I guess you won't bother.

Btw, I transferred my number from virgin to giffgaff a while ago and it all went smoothly. I asked for the PAC from virgin on a Thursday, and they gave it to me straight away. Told Giffgaff that afternoon and they changed me over sometime on Friday. ( I was in a meeting all morning so don't know quite when or how long, but did miss out on my sister phoning me to tell me she had secretly got married. :lol: )
Oh no! Bad luck missing out on THAT call!! Whats the chances???!

I have answered this now. Turns out that current phone has standard sim and new one has micro sim - DOH!!! :oops: :oops:

So no matter what I do it aint going to work! Guess what? They can replace the standard with a micro, but DH has to call them!!!

Phone is totally network free, so I guess we will go with GiffGaff and another number for a few days then he can ring for the PAC code on, let me see, boxing day?????

THanks, glad to hear GIff Gaff good.
Snowdrops

Re: ANswered already, thanks, mod remove?

Post by Snowdrops »

Agreed, you can use the contract sim in an unlocked 'phone, we've done it before.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You can cut down a sim - there are templates on the internet (possibly on the giffgaff web site. WEe have doen this twice due to certain people being impatient to use their new phone and not wanting to wait for the micro sim to arrive.
scary mum
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oooh, just seen about the different sim sizes.

Go to the retailer who you have the contract with and get a new sim to fit the new phone. You keep the same number, it's still on contract and it's effective almost immediately. It would cost about a tenner, from memory.

BTW, it's not recommended you cut down sims, it could result in the sim being totally unusable.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

scary mum wrote:You can cut down a sim - there are templates on the internet (possibly on the giffgaff web site. WEe have doen this twice due to certain people being impatient to use their new phone and not wanting to wait for the micro sim to arrive.
Ooh!!!!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Snowdrops wrote:Oooh, just seen about the different sim sizes.

Go to the retailer who you have the contract with and get a new sim to fit the new phone. You keep the same number, it's still on contract and it's effective almost immediately. It would cost about a tenner, from memory.

BTW, it's not recommended you cut down sims, it could result in the sim being totally unusable.
THis isn't a problem but

1. I would just have liked, in the spirit of 'instant gratification', to have his new SIM up and running on the day with his current number on it. Will have a SIM card but it will just be a new number for a while which is a bit frustrating but not exactly serious!!!!
2. We don't want to stay with current supplier anyway, I am sick of standing on one leg with my other leg stuck out the top of the chimney to have any hope of getting a signal!!!! Contracts up in March so only 2 months of penalty to pay, amounts to £20, think I'll cope with that!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now