Whitgift School Entrance Exam 11+

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
HSP2201

Whitgift School Entrance Exam 11+

Post by HSP2201 »

Hi All

Trying to seek any advice from parents regarding the entrance exams at Whitgift. In particular, I am aware that all tests (Maths, English and Verbal) are standard I.e. not multiple choice and you can view sample maths and English papers on their website. How long are the papers and how best to prepare for the tests. Are Bond books and past papers from other independent schools the best way to prepare for the Whit gift exams.

Nervous about the exams as our son missed the Wilson's Grammar School pass mark by 25 marks, he passed Wallington Grammar, but so did another 585 boys so not holding my breath for a place and did not sit Sutton as too far away. , is he prepared enough for the exams and will he cope should he be successful in being offered a place.

Would love to hear from parents who supported their boys through the exams, what were they like, what books best to use etc.

Any advice and information would be appreciated.
Ladymuck

Re: Whitgift School Entrance Exam 11+

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
estelle

Post by estelle »

Hi there

We only used Bond books and past papers from other indies together with plenty of reading and creative writing practise. My DS felt well prepared. There is not so much time pressure as in the grammar entrance exams. If your DS does well enough in the exam, he will be called for interview which is a really important part of the selection process. Your DS needs to have plenty to talk about & be bright & enthusiastic and really show that he wants to go to the school. The parents are 'interviewed ' as well. Both the exam & the interview are well handled so that the boys have the opportunity to show what they can do and it's not too nerve-wracking.

Best of luck. My DS is in year 11 & is incredibly happy there.
HSP2201

Post by HSP2201 »

Thank you so much Lady muck and Estelle

Thanks for quick reply and such useful information. I had no idea that the English paper is split in that way as there is no information on their website, just says English paper. Even though we have covered and practised GPS and comprehension for grammar school exams, still feeling anxious. Like you said, the interview is just as important so trying to help son prepare for interview too. It is a fantastic school, offering a great deal of opportunities, my son has been there for one week during a primary school project and loved it.

We are only trying for Whitgift as Trinity is too far out.

Once again, appreciate your advice and information.Best of luck to your son in Year 11.

Regards.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Have you got copies of their sample papers?
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Oh Dear. Yikes. They interview the parents :(

What about? Do they ask about other schools you might be applying for? How to answer that when the others are more "aspirational" (or logistically more convenient) and so it will be (fairly) apparent that Whitgift is a back-up and so an answer like "We of course prefer Whitgift" is a little bit hmmmmm ?

Past papers were / are given out at open days (I was there one afternoon recently).
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Ladymuck wrote:Most of the parents that I know have gone there have always played the game.
Getting ahead of myself (test not sat yet) but wondered in fact how to play the game. Is the idea then to pretend the Whitgift is your first choice. How do you explain the fact that, say, Westminster (aspirational) is also on your lists of schools?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now