Classical Music Stars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Piano Man

Classical Music Stars

Post by Piano Man »

BBC2 showed a new programme for young budding classical musicians. What a joy, beats watching programmes with kids with numerous A grade A-Levels and no personalities. This programme, where there are 9 places for kids to join an academy of music, is what Universities are crying out for. All the KEGS of this world may produce brilliant GCSE and A Level results, but how many have produced musical or sport superstars for this great contry of ours !!

I don't play any instruments, due to lack of support from parents when I was young, but I have made damn sure that my two sons have some musical skills. They both started having piano lessons aged 4. Older sons, 11 years old has passed grade 2 , theory and playing, and is on grade 3 and second son's aged 8 is on grade 1. It's a joy to listen to them in the evenings.

Please share your experiences........
crazyjaney

Post by crazyjaney »

I agree with you Piano Man! Kids definitely need a balance in their lives and there has to be room to try different experiences. I have a son aged 8 who has had some instruction in the acoustic guitar and loves it! Sadly his teacher has moved away and I'm currently looking for a replacement.
Whilst I acknowledge that academic success is usually desirable it can be achieved whilst making room in our kids' lives for other enriching experiences. These other pursuits can often contribute to more traditional forms of learning too, can't they?
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Hi

Just wondered if you have any children at KE schools?

If you had then you couldn't fail to notice the amount of extra curricular activities that take place at the schools including music. I think that this is one of the real strengths of the grammar schools. Both my children learn instruments at the school and are in orchestras, wind bands and ensembles both at school and with the Birmingham Music Service. There are also choirs - chamber, choral and show choir. The dedication of the staff at the school that my children attend is second to none and the concerts (particularly the Christmas concert, senior concert and songs from the shows) are a real joy.

As for sport - there are teams for various sports and many many extra curricular clubs devoted to sport.

Certainly for me, it was one of the reasons why I wanted my kids to go to a KE school. They are free to follow their musical/sporting ambitions with fantastic encouragement from the staff.
Impressed Parent

KEGS

Post by Impressed Parent »

I thoroughly agree, Kegs provide everything! It is so much more than the 'Academic Hot-house' that the un-iformed would like to think that it is! Piano man would be truly impressed, were he fortunate enough to attend any of Kegs many stunning productions, concerts etc.
A proud (and lucky!!) mother of two children currently attending two different Kegs, I have attended Prize Giving ceremonies where the music performed has been simply breath-taking! Unfortunately neither of my children are gifted in this way, although they have both improved sufficiently for me to also enjoy listening to their efforts at home!
The sporting opportunities are many. I have one very sporty child and one less so! Both are encouraged to the best of their ability and they both attend extra- curricular sports clubs because they enjoy them so much!
Being academic and attending one of the best schools in the country doesn't mean that that you have a personality transplant upon entry into the school! My children are like all others their age, at home;noisy, not wanting to do homework, at times full of attitude. In the company of others they are well-behaved, articulate, interesting young people. I think Kegs must be doing something right.
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Just another point that occured to me (I really should register then I could edit my posts).

Some of the children/young adults with "no personalities" as the OP put it, had Asberger's syndrome. Try searching for the condition and you might then discover why they appeared to have "no personalities" and the challenges that their parents have probably had to face throughout their life time.

(I think you can tell I am a bit narky about asbergers - I have my reasons!!)
Impressed Parent

Post by Impressed Parent »

Well said, KE Mum! There were some rather negative comments made regarding this in the 'Beautiful Young Minds' thread of the Birmingham forum. It made me rather ashamed of Birmingham!
I answered, ' Let's not criticize our excellent schools and beautiful young minds, let's celebrate them and be full of respect. I think the young man from Camp Hill is absolutely awesome!'
I think those responsible for the negative comments are slightly green-tinged about the eyes!!
solimum

music

Post by solimum »

I agree - my son is in the 6th form at KE camp hill, and although his main subject is Maths (where he has benefited greatly from some excellent teaching) he has enjoyed at least as much the high standard of music. Tonight at the Town hall various musical ensembles from around the city are playing - I'm sure you'd find that a large proportion of the talented musicians (many grade 8 plus) in the orchestra / band etc are from KE schools - and not necessarily all pursuing music as their main study either. And all with personalities!

(small print: other schools with talented children are available..)
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

Hi all
Interesting topic. I think most secondary schools provide excellent extra-curricular activities - music and sport related. My son has just started at KE Aston and is loving the whole experience. I know he excels at academic subjects but so far I am most proud of the fact that, despite hating p.e at primary, and despite all our efforts encouraging someone who 'hates and is rubbish' at all sports - has been named 'man of the match' twice for rugby. I must point out that he is in group c - but who cares!! He is working towards grade 5 for an instrument and also plays in the music services ensembles. These kids do have a life outside academia. Good luck to anyone who has talents of whatever nature to show off.

Post by Guest »

Solimum, unfortunately, NOT all children get a chance to attend KEGS and your point about opportunties says it all, if you go to the best school than the flood gates open. Live in a deprived area in inner city Brum or London and there are few opportunties, now how fair is that? Shoudl these opportunties be available to all?

And yes my child does goto one of the KEGS and he plays pianoforte
solimum

music

Post by solimum »

To be fair to the Birmingham music service, they do offer a huge range of musical opportunities to children in every Birmingham state school, many of them in evidence at tonight's concert, from tiny tots on suzuki violins through the gospel choir, steel band, indian drumming, tin whistles right up to the massive symphony orchestra. However all children from whatever background will thrive better if they have support from home....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now