Tiffin boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sobey

Tiffin boys

Post by Sobey »

Hi - I am new to the forum and need some support really! Ds has scored 230 and just wondering if we have a chance really! He got 130 in Slough but Da has heart set on Tiffin. I actually live in langley so Kingston is going :!: to be a challenge but that's fine - I am ready for that. However is there much difference in the schools?
Peridot

Re: Tiffin boys

Post by Peridot »

Hi Sobey and welcome,
You may have noticed me posting similar replies before.... but here goes! It sounds as if your son has done well in both school exams, hopefully well enough to gain a place. But... the journey from Langley to Kingston is not one that should be undertaken lightly. It will take a very long time in each direction, so he will be exhausted, and he will miss out on so many extra-curricular activities such as drama, sport and music, if he has to leave by taxi or be collected by you, a private minibus, or a car pool at a specific time. It will also be much harder for you to get to parents' evenings, careers fairs, concerts etc. I'm sure your local grammar in Slough will be just as good academically but he and the rest of your family will gain so much from going to a school that is much closer to home. That's my opinion anyway! Regards, Peridot
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I would sincerely hope that, unless you are considering relocation to some nearby area, you would chose Langley. The 3 to 4 hours travelling a day could be better spent studying that would help in getting better grades. Teaching wise, you would not find much difference between Tiffin or Langley, even to consider putting your child to such suffering.
Sobey

Post by Sobey »

Thank you for replies- very kind. Ok basically I work in Hounslow and my Ida school there too so I am used to the commute however it's a very tough one. Lets see ! What's meant to be... It's just the single sex school that was appealing to me too. As DS is my first child to go to secondary school it's such a difficult time in my life. Ds is sweet he says where ever I go it will be a good school as I managed to pass .
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Hi again Sobey. Are the Slough schools mixed then? I didn't realise. I can see it will be a hard decision for lots of reasons but do think hard about saddling your son with that commute for 7 years - and if he has to travel with you as part if your commute he won't have any independence. I know my two would both hate that!
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I meant "as part of your commute" - oops
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now