Susan Daughtrey mapped to IPS Types

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
i-qah

Susan Daughtrey mapped to IPS Types

Post by i-qah »

Hi - I have seen posts in the past asking if anyone has mapped SD to IPS. Sally-Anne has recreated the IPS to the Tutors types but if it helps anyone - here is my mapping of SD to IPS (note only my understanding - views welcome!)

SD : IPS
21 = A
12 = B
32 = C
7 = D (SD closest)
5 = E
20 = F
35 = G
7 = H (SD opposite)
new equations = I
3 =J
28 =K
16 = L
18 = M
33 = N
8 = O
26 = P
4 = Q
22 = R
new 7=S (though also similar to SD's 10)
16 new = U
23, 29, 30 or 31 = Z (all these SD's are 'logic' based qs)

I accept everything Patricia has said on the subject of SD's books 1-4 are not relevant for areas which only have the 21 verbal reasoning types, but none-the-less the above mapping can still help identify which types to IGNORE.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear I-qah

Thankyou for your mapping. Not having my SD books in front of me, I cannot give a full comment.

However I must reiterate that if your area is using NFER 21 types Multiple Choice, then the Daughtrey books 1 to 7 are just not relevant enough.

Some of them are only similar not identical and ALL of them are using the method and technique for STANDARD form. Multiple Choice is approached in a totally DIFFERENT manner.

I see no point in buying something that has MANY irrelevant types, where the types that are relevant are not necessarily identical [some just similar] AND are in standard form?

If you need a method and technique book for NFER, VR M/C then appropriate book would be IPS Method and Technique Book.

You could also view The Tutors Free M and T download.

Patricia

Ps, I will always recommend Daughtreys, Bright Spark series.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I bought the Susan Daughtrey book before reading all teh advice on here..

I shall keep it as a reminder to think first!
i-qah

Post by i-qah »

Hi Patricia

you are right that many of Susan Daughtrey's qs are similar rather than an exact match to the IPS or Tutors.

My son has taken the Bucks exams where clearly there is a clear-cut set of question types. But he will also will sit some independant school VR tests who give very little away on what their VR tests cover. So for him it was useful to practice 'other' question types, but for me to differentiate between them.

It is so confusing though...... !
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear I-qah

Has your son just sat the recent Bucks exam? What did he think? [without giving too much away, as there are still many waithing to take the test.]

Which of the independents are you looking at?

Patricia
i-qah

Merchant Taylors

Post by i-qah »

yes he sat the recent Bucks - mixed reactions really. He seemed to have 'peaked' a few weeks before the tests, and seemed very fed up by the time the exams came round, hence said very little about them, unfortunately. He's a Nov child so would need decent scores!

I am looking at Merchant Taylors, but have to cover an awful lot of Maths & English with him before the exams in January - I just don't know if we've both got it in us to keep up with home tutoring for the next few months!

My living room is strewn in 11+ books............
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi i-qah

Some nice work there - thank you!

Once Patricia has had a chance to check it against her SD books I will post the final list alongside the IPS:Tutors mapping.

What would also be useful at some stage is a list of each question type with a "sample question", so people can view them on the site as a quick reference to the types. Can any better brains than mine think of a quick way of doing that?

Sally-Anne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Sally-Anne

As per my reply to I-qah, I see no use to this mapping as they are NOT similar enough and are in STANDARD form, therefore not equivalent to NFER VR M/C or IPS or The Tutors....

Patricia
i-qah

Tutors:IPS:SD

Post by i-qah »

Tutors: IPS Summary ( SD )
1 = A Insert a letter ( 21 )
2 = B Related words ( 12 )
3 = C Word-Letter Codes ( 32 )
4 = D Closest Meaning ( 7 )
5 = E Hidden Word ( 5 )
6 = F Missing Word ( 20 )
7 = G Letters for Numbers ( 35 )
8 = J Move a Letter ( 3 )
9 = L Letter Series ( 16 )
10 = M Word Connections ( 18 )
11 = P Number Series ( 26 )
12 = Q Compound Words ( 4 )
13 = R Make a Word-Letter Codes ( 22 )
14 = U Letter Connections ( SD's new 16 )
15 = Z Reading Information/Logic ( 23, 29, 30 or 31 )
16 = H Opposite Meaning ( 7 )
17 = I Complete the Sum - balance equation ( SD'd new equations )
18 = K Related Numbers -bracket maths ( 28 )
19 = N Word-Number Codes ( 33 )
20 = O Complete the Word -Codes ( 8 )
21 = S Same Meaning ( new 7, or similar to 10 )

I've added a summary of the question types to Sally-Anne's Sticky post. Those in the brackets refer to those I believe to be SIMILAR to Susan Daughtreys. Use these only as a guide, if like me your area covers more than the 21 NFER types.

hope it helps

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now