Grammar school on a CV

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
reeyah

Grammar school on a CV

Post by reeyah »

Recently I have had to interview potentials for a job. Looking through their CVs, I automatically made assumptions about the candidates according to their ex-schools and universities, which I am a little ashamed of :oops:. The ex-grammar school applicants tended to go onto better universities and better grades overall, although of course there were some deviants from this rule.

After weeding out and interviewing, the best candidates have been short-listed to two. One is an ex-KEAS and the other from a comprehensive. Both come across equally good. I suppose what I am trying to say is..it doesn't really matter which school or university they went to and I recognise that I was biased in my analysis of their CVs! :)
southbucks3

Re: Grammar school on a CV

Post by southbucks3 »

I didn't know you were a manager at pizza hut reeyah!

Seriously though, that is great to hear. Let us hope more people realise the school tie is not the most important thing on a cv. Did it come down to who had the nicest disposition in the end?
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It came down to how professional their CVs were, with attention to detail. Their work experience was also a big factor. Both of the candidates came across well during interview too! I think they will arrange the mushrooms beautifully!

So hard to choose now.. I can't possibly be biased towards the KEAS one, just because DS1 attends there :wink:
CheekyMonkey

Post by CheekyMonkey »

....nowadays I think their work experience and personal characteristics for the position would play a major part, academic results help, but I would certainly not base it purely on that.

CheekyMonkey
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

reeyah wrote:Recently I have had to interview potentials for a job. Looking through their CVs, I automatically made assumptions about the candidates according to their ex-schools and universities, which I am a little ashamed of :oops:. The ex-grammar school applicants tended to go onto better universities and better grades overall, although of course there were some deviants from this rule.

After weeding out and interviewing, the best candidates have been short-listed to two. One is an ex-KEAS and the other from a comprehensive. Both come across equally good. I suppose what I am trying to say is..it doesn't really matter which school or university they went to and I recognise that I was biased in my analysis of their CVs! :)
Yes. The fact that they both came across equally well says a lot. They were equally good, irrespective of how well they did on a single test on one day of their lives at the age of 10 :wink:
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

moseleymum wrote:They were equally good, irrespective of how well they did on a single test on one day of their lives at the age of 10 :wink:
Or depending upon where they lived at the time, whether one happened to live in a grammar area and be entered for the test and the other didn't.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now