11+ Forum

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sbarnes

11+ Forum

Post by sbarnes »

Hello, can someone explain what the purpose or ethos of this website is please?

I am a bit confused but I thought that by its name itself it was meant to assist those parents/ students trying to get into a selective school. If one didn't bieve in this principle of section for senior school then maybe this site was not for them..

Have I got the wrong end of the stick?
stroudydad

Re: 11+ Forum

Post by stroudydad »

There is an item somewhere about how this forum came to be... (though cant seem to find it now) and yes it was formed by a man who decided to try to make something to help others facing the problems he had, but I personally like to think it is now far more than that, and is about the education and welfare of all children..
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

Can I ask what has prompted this question?
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I like the range of views. Also some of us are stuck with a system we don't necessarily believe in.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

stroudydad wrote:There is an item somewhere about how this forum came to be... (though cant seem to find it now) and yes it was formed by a man who decided to try to make something to help others facing the problems he had, but I personally like to think it is now far more than that, and is about the education and welfare of all children..
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/about-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- but wider issues are covered too, and a range of views is welcome! :)
Etienne
doodles

Post by doodles »

stroudydad wrote:....but I personally like to think it is now far more than that, and is about the education and welfare of all children..

Completely agree SD, it's nice to be able to discuss education without being looked at as if you are a competitive parent with two heads. :lol: Plus Rehab keeps me sane :shock: and where else would I be able to get an instant response to my dental problems than an education forum :?: :lol: :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Fatnorville wrote:Can I ask what has prompted this question?
Me perhaps? :D
You may get your wish sbarnes. :wink:
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I also find the forum both illuminating and entertaining for matters post-eleven plus. And I am often surprised by the entrenched views on both sides of the various debates that appear, but it's so valuable to have somewhere to express ourselves freely, whatever our views (as long as we are respectful of others) and to ask questions that it might not be possible to get an answer to elsewhere.
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

Amber wrote:
Fatnorville wrote:Can I ask what has prompted this question?
Me perhaps? :D
You may get your wish sbarnes. :wink:

No...still no idea what this is all about...

In answer to the original question.
Hello, can someone explain what the purpose or ethos of this website is please?
It's not this this whatever is going on here.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

RedVelvet wrote:I like the range of views. Also some of us are stuck with a system we don't necessarily believe in.
Exactly...I do not believe in selection and have not done since childhood, (when, I hasten to add, entering grammar seemed a lot less bother) but have no choice other than uprooting the family, so I use the support of this site to help us muddle through.

I enjoy a good debate, and a bit of freedom to express my opinion with a wider audience than other parents in the same education area, oh and yes sharing recipes, sympathy, and general parenting woes or cheer is rather nice too. I also like to think my vocabulary and maths ability have both improved a little since reading Guest55 and Amber's posts, which have humiliated me into thinking a little harder before I write drivel or give up on a maths problem. :oops: