Oxbridge vs other unis

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Oxbridge vs other unis

Post by moved »

It is a given that everyone who goes to Oxbridge is very bright. So, is a 2:2 from Oxbridge still viewed as a 2:2 (not fab in the modern world) or is the Oxbridge label worth it anyway.

A family member was told that he wasn't eligible for a job as he has a 2:2. He has been offered another position, but it has made me think!
aliportico

Re: Oxbridge vs other unis

Post by aliportico »

I always tell dh that my Oxford 2:2 is better than his Salford 2:2 :-) He tends to counter by asking who's now paid more :lol:

I'm not sure I would have done any better anywhere else though - my problem was simply that I was enjoying myself far too much! I think that not applying to Oxbridge when you'd actually quite fancy going to one of them because you think you've got a better chance of a first somewhere else would be a bit sad.

If my kids are interested, I would certainly encourage them to apply, and then make of it what they will (if!) when they get there.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I suppose it depends on the person who's making the decision's knowledge and how much value they themselves put on Oxbridge. If they are of a mindset that a 2.2 is a 2.2 no matter where it's gained then perhaps it's not a company you'd really like to work for.
KB

Post by KB »

It is daft but true that in some instances a 2.2 from Cambridge will not allow entry whereas a 2.1 from ......(don't dare name names but you get my drift) would eg postgraduate studentships (although the most competitive would in practice need a First from non-top flight institution). There was talk of introducing a 2.1 bar for fast track/paid teacher training places - did it come in? - which is even more stupid.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I fear that is true KB:

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-te ... te-funding" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KB

Post by KB »

although

"The bursary scheme recognises exceptional achievement outside of degree results and allows flexibility in some cases. In exceptional circumstances trainees may receive a higher bursary than their degree class would otherwise allow. This allows the scheme to take account of, for example, trainees with a 2:2 and a PhD or proven exceptional subject knowledge gained from another career"

So maybe this would allow a good Oxbridge/Imperial etc 2.2. where appropriate, particularly in the much needed Science and Maths areas.
Absolutely we need teachers who know their stuff but Oxbridge graduates who juggled other pursuits and developed some life skills along the way could make some of the best contributions.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now