Psoriasis ...........heartbreaking :(

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Unique

Psoriasis ...........heartbreaking :(

Post by Unique »

Hello

My dd has recently been diagnosed with psoriasis. It is having an extremely negative impact on her self-esteem and as a parent it is heartbreaking.

She passed her 11 plus and will be commencing Grammar School in September. Due to her psoriasis, she will not wear short sleeved tops or keeps her legs covered at all times.
She is anxious about starting Grammar school and is worried about Physical Education and swimming etc..

I wondered if anyone has a similar experience to share or any advice at this difficult time, this would be warmly appreciated.

Best wishes
mystery

Re: Psoriasis ...........heartbreaking :(

Post by mystery »

How is she and her primary school handling it? Sorry I do not have an answer but if handled well now then a similar way of managing at the next school can be put in place. Is there a society / charity with some good suggestions, education pack for the school etc?
PROBSNAIVE

Post by PROBSNAIVE »

Hi Unique,

I have sent you a PM
ginx

Post by ginx »

Unique,

No experience of this, but could you arrange to meet the person in charge of pastoral care? I don't think it would hurt to meet now (I know September is months away) and might help reassure your dd. It must be very distressing for her, when she is about to change schools. Again, excuse ignorance, does anxiety make psoriasis worse? Any attempt at reassurance might be helpful.

Dd2 has diabetes and hates showing her tummy (she wears a cannula under a sort of elastic band round her tummy) but of course that's only one area of her body so it's not exactly the same. She hates pricking her finger and giving insulin, although her friends - new and old - are so used to it, I am not sure they even notice.

Feel for you and your dd, I understand it would have a negative impact on self-esteem and it must be awful for you. Wish I could offer advice.

Just to say I hope someone comes along and offers better advice. I'd go and meet the person in charge of pastoral care to explain your worries. Good luck.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

I wish I had some advice for you Unique, but I do send my best wishes to your DD, and hope that the school will be helpful and supportive. :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

A colleague of mine many years ago suffered from very severe psoriasis. He found the Psoriasis Association to be a very useful resource, and their website now has a specific under-21s section.
she will not wear short sleeved tops or keeps her legs covered at all times.
Without meaning to belittle her anxiety, she is undoubtedly going to be the darling of the GS Uniform Police! :D
She is anxious about starting Grammar school and is worried about Physical Education and swimming etc..
Swimming is not always part of the curriculum at secondary school, and I would imagine that a simple explanation that "chlorine aggravates the condition" would be ample to excuse her from the activity.

I would be inclined to find out more about why the condition has developed fairly recently. It strikes me that it might be hormonal, and therefore potentially treatable.

As I have now exhausted my limited knowledge of the condition, I will bow out of the thread and write the last Christmas cards I have been putting off.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

As Ginx says, talk to the school.
Many girls at DDs school wear trousers at school and tracky bottoms for PE for cultural reasons. Not sure what they do for swimming. It could be the same for your DDs future school so she can cover her legs and not feel out of place while doing so.

There may be other small adjusts the school can make to make your DD feel better.

Hope you and DD work something out.
Unique

Post by Unique »

Dear All

Thank you so much for your encouaging advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Please come back and tell us how she gets on. Your experience could help another child years from now.

By the same token, please don't post personal information that could identify her.

S-A
talea51

Post by talea51 »

Unique, I have a family member with psoriasis and we have found a few things that have helped and I wondered if maybe you'd tried them for your dd? We found that the double base cream works very well but we only apply that at night because it's very thick and takes ages to sink in. We also swear by Aveeno oatmeal cream, it really seems to help a lot. We get both of these on prescription, although you can buy them yourself - it's just that they are very expensive (esp the Aveeno) and we go through it really quickly.

I hope that talking to the school and getting plan in place will help your dd to feel more confident. We have found that winter is the worst time for psoriasis, all that going from warm to cold and back again just isn't good for the skin, plus the lack of sunlight doesn't seem to help either.

I wish your dd all the best.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now