Bursaries

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pressureon

Bursaries

Post by pressureon »

Does anyone know how highly a child would have to score to gain a bursary? I know for a scholarship you would have to be in the top 5% but a bursary?

Re: Bursaries

Post by Guest »

pressureon wrote:Does anyone know how highly a child would have to score to gain a bursary? I know for a scholarship you would have to be in the top 5% but a bursary?
Top 25% normally, I think, then means testing.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Any one with anecdotal infomation about bursaries, please post! The trouble with applying to independent schools is that each application usually demands a cheque and for those of us who cannot really afford it, it pinches a bit!! So there we are, weighing up the chance of receiving a bursary, the amount we might be offered and the amount we earn against how many cheques we keep writing!!
Pressureon

bursaries

Post by Pressureon »

Thanx for info. My son is not a scholarship child but probably in the top set of prep school so wanted to know if he stood a chance in gaining a busary if he scored highly enough?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

some schools will give scholarships to the top pupils and then any pupil can apply for a bursary which is means tested.
the only problem is with these (and there has been discussion about this on the forum in previous years) is that the level of income at which help ceases to be available is a lot lower than people may normally consider to reasonable. some schools are better and most families will benefit whereas at many others the help runs out at about £30,000. It all depends on the school - you need to speak to the bursar and get some honest answers
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

this is the link to the discussion about bursaries and some of the limits. Note the City of London etc expecting fees of 11k out of income of 45k.......

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... highlight=

bursaries

Post by Guest »

hi there

exp from 2 yrs ago:

my son was offered a 7year 100% scholarship (1/10) at city of london, (means tested)

we were very happy at the beginning, but after we considered it seriously, we didn't take it in the end as:
1) it meant him travelling into london by himself (summer born)
2) he got a place at the local grammar
3) it meant submitting financial paperwork every year and so if our income increased the bursary would be reduced etc etc

so think carefully about means tested bursaries

Good luck to all kids going for it this year- i've got no.2 going this yaer

Re: bursaries

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:hi there

exp from 2 yrs ago:

my son was offered a 7year 100% scholarship (1/10) at city of london, (means tested)

we were very happy at the beginning, but after we considered it seriously, we didn't take it in the end as:
1) it meant him travelling into london by himself (summer born)
2) he got a place at the local grammar
3) it meant submitting financial paperwork every year and so if our income increased the bursary would be reduced etc etc

so think carefully about means tested bursaries

Good luck to all kids going for it this year- i've got no.2 going this yaer
Yes, would definitely agree with this guest. We made a conscious decision not to apply for a means tested bursary, partly because of the information we would have had to reveal, but mainly because it would have been such a disincentive to work harder and apply for better jobs. We are 6 years in now and haven't regretted it, although it has often been difficult to find the cash at the start of each term but we are not beholden to anyone, and also don't have to put pressure on our son to perform to justify any subsidy.

Post by Guest »

I think another problem with bursaries is that they don't seem to take into account that you may have a youger child/ children to consider. The level most bursaries are set at make sending one child difficult enough, but a second would be virtually impossible.

This is what we found anyway. We wanted to give both our children an equal opportunity.