Multiple choice format of new exam?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Stressed?Moi?

Multiple choice format of new exam?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Does anyone know if the new type exam (2014) will be multiple choice? When I start giving DS bits and bobs next year, I wanted to make sure he was working to the correct format. Cheers
Okanagan

Re: Multiple choice format of new exam?

Post by Okanagan »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:Does anyone know if the new type exam (2014) will be multiple choice? When I start giving DS bits and bobs next year, I wanted to make sure he was working to the correct format. Cheers
In Warwickshire which is also CEM it's a mix - for example comprehension and NVR is multiple choice, cloze fill in the blanks, maths is standard format. Bucks was fully m/c. so it could be either. Comprehension and NVR will almost certainly be mc if those are included though.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Okanagan wrote:
Stressed?Moi? wrote:Does anyone know if the new type exam (2014) will be multiple choice? When I start giving DS bits and bobs next year, I wanted to make sure he was working to the correct format. Cheers
In Warwickshire which is also CEM it's a mix - for example comprehension and NVR is multiple choice, cloze fill in the blanks, maths is standard format. Bucks was fully m/c. so it could be either. Comprehension and NVR will almost certainly be mc if those are included though.

Righty ho; thanks for that. Sorry, but do you think they will give guidance on answer format next year? I've heard that they will be issuing some information next year (in January I believe), but wonder if it will include this.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I will ask ds this afternoon what format the trial test took, that may give some indication.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

stroudydad wrote:I will ask ds this afternoon what format the trial test took, that may give some indication.
Ah, good thinking stroudydad. Thanks.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Since they need extra time to mark the new exam, I think we can assume that at least some of it will need to be marked by hand and will therefore not be multiple choice.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

00. Some of the maths problems in bucks told the child to work out the answer and
11. Underline the correct digits in the answer column e.g. underline 2 and 5 if you think
22 the answer is 25. So not true multi choice, but still scanable, my ds really struggled
33 visually with this style of answer box, as it is very "crowded".
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Oh flippin heck. Poor kids; that's pretty mean!
Mum66

Post by Mum66 »

I see the familiarisation booklet is on Marling and STRS websites - haven't looked at the other websites. Any thoughts?
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Fab; hadn't spotted this so thanks.

He's bored out of his tree, so will try him on it today. Fingers crossed!

Edit: He got 77%, but took 19 mins - eek (not sure how long he should have had to do it, but I'm guessing it would be less than 19 mins!!). Think we are going to have to work on timings :(
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now