Is it too late to apply to an independent school.

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cocobean

Is it too late to apply to an independent school.

Post by cocobean »

My child is at a small independent school but has no sixth form. So we decided to apply for state schools as I was made redundant in the summer. But I have had a rejection letter already saying that my child does not have the grades they are looking for :( he has been predicted mostly A's and B's and 1 c. Surely they should have given an interview or are they looking for straight A's.
We are now thinking of staying on at an independent school as to go to our local comp will be a nightmare. but we would need a scholarship but I think they would be all gone now, Can anybody help please please
hermanmunster

Re: Is it too late to apply to an independent school.

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Cocobean and welcome to the forum

Most state schools have specific requirements for entry to the sixth form and oversubscribed ones will have to look at predictions etc - some require higher grades for the subjects they want to study at A level.

You can certainly apply to indie sixth forms, even though many closing dates have passed - some hold sixth form scholarship exams, the dates for these vary - some in November but others are in February etc.

You will need to contact each one individually to see what they can offer re places etc. Also have you looked at all sixth form options? there may be some sixth form colleges, other comprehensives - state boarding schools etc etc - even if they mean a bit more travelling.

If you are happy to say what area of the country you are looking at, then forum members may be able to give more specific advice.
cocobean

Post by cocobean »

Thank you so much. We are from south London and I have applied to four state schools.
He wants to take biology at A level and has been predicted an A.
We would need a scholarship and I would be prepared for him to travel.
I am not keen on Emanuel can you advise on any others.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
cocobean

Post by cocobean »

Most scholarships are not based on grades as they given on talent such as sport,drama and music.
He is currently on a scholarship but his school has no sixth form and a good state school seems to be looking for straight A's from their students and not looking at other talents as they want to be top of the league tables.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

cocobean wrote:Most scholarships are not based on grades as they given on talent such as sport,drama and music.
He is currently on a scholarship but his school has no sixth form and a good state school seems to be looking for straight A's from their students and not looking at other talents as they want to be top of the league tables.
At sixth form level there will be few scholarships for other than academic reasons. The indies may well be trying to replace some of the kids who have left to go sixth form elsewhere - such as the state GS sixth forms - or boarding or day indies.

There is quite a lot of "shuffling" at this stage as many kids move around.
I suspect ultimately that there will be many places at indies as there is no unified application system and people can hold several offers - only deciding after GCSE where they want to go.

Your DC has to go to school for at least year 12 (I'm not sure when the requirement moves to year 13) so you need to have some backstops - have a look at other indies but bear in mind that there may be little financial help, look at sixth form colleges and perhaps have a chat with the ones who have rejected you about waiting lists etc
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Not sure where I'm South London you are, but Langley Park Boys, for example, in the state sector is still accepting applications for year 12 and your DS would seem to meet their requirements (had a quick look in that area as we have a friend there :) ).

Unless that's the 'local school' you are trying to avoid, of course...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Immortal Dreams

Post by Immortal Dreams »

Sixth form scholarships are mainly academic, as opposed to the ones in secondary where you can have scholarships in music, sport etc. As few scholarships are given out at this age, only the students with the highest grades will receive one (eg. all A*)

Perhaps a bursary is what you are looking for, but many sixth forms do not give these out. Try a local sixth form college. There are some good ones in Richmond, if that's close by to you.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Hello Cocobean. Your options are still open at this stage. You are unlikely to get any kind of scholarship for 6th form - as other people have pointed out, these are given for academic standards and not for any of the other criteria which might have applied when your DS was in Year 6 or 7. At my school, for example, the DC with a full set of predicted A*s will be the ones in the running.

You can try for independent schools but you will need to be self-funding. Most will want higher grades than your DC is offering. Some have an entrance exam and the deadline for this has passed.You are likely to have missed the deadline for most indies so a direct enquiry to the school is the route you should take, but you may not be successful here either - be warned.

Other than this, you say you have applied for 4 state schools; so far only one has rejected the application. You may yet be successful with the others. You could also look at other state schools in the area or colleges as this would also be a good option. You will find a wider range of courses as well.

The independent route is not for you at this stage if you are going to be dependent on a fee reduction - it doesn't happen. Scholarships, where they are given, are token amounts. That is the reason why many DC leave indies at the end of Year 11. I knew several who are moving to the state sector from my school. It may not be what you want but life takes us in different directions and this is an opportunity for your son. Don't see it as anything else.
cocobean

Post by cocobean »

Thanks for all your advise, I have scanned london schools and have found a few that offer scholarships with my DC interests but I know it may be too late. All I can do is ring them in the new year and hope for the best.
Thanks Toadmum for suggesting Langley Park Boys, it looks ideal but it will be a little too far out for us but we will keep it on our list.
I will keep you all updated :cry:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now