North London Consortium

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

leanmeamum

North London Consortium

Post by leanmeamum »

I'm looking for North London Consortium Papers from both groups for Maths and English which are pre-2008.

If anyone has copies, is it possible to share these copies Please?
Daogroupie

Re: North London Consortium

Post by Daogroupie »

I already posted this exact question some weeks ago. If there are any nobody is prepared to share them. I offered to mark existing English papers in exchange for pre 2008 papers. I personally don't think they exist. The consortium did not used to have past papers on their website so I think it is a very recent thing. When my dd sat in 2010 there were no past papers and she still managed to get into scholarship tests so though it is helpful to do the past papers it is not necessary. Learning how to approach Comprehension papers generally is the most important thing. We have been doing the Consortium papers repeatedly since the state exams finished in September but now we have moved onto other new material as we have squeezed every last mark out of them! DG
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

These would be of minimal use as the format changed around that time.

What is more useful is using the STYLE of questions on a range of passages, so that your DC gets used to the wording of the questions that might come up. These questions appear deceptively simple and 'easy' to answer, but of course the more able students will be doing more than just answering.

Doing both the Reading and Writing sections one after the other is useful - by the time Writing section comes round, they are usually tired and starting to flag. My DD said some of her friends did not complete the comprehension either.

My DD is very bright but timing was key for her. It might be the same for other DC sitting the independent exams soon.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Thanks for your replies - just wanted to see the last few questions as they are useful for the problem-solving maths questions which come up for various schools.