Could a child be unsuccessful because of a tutor?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rainysunshine001

Could a child be unsuccessful because of a tutor?

Post by Rainysunshine001 »

Just need your opinion/ suggestion pls. Do you think:-
1) a child could be unsuccessful just because of his or her tutor that they went to? I believe every tutor has different way of approaching the 11+. My question is based on the assumption that child always completes all the HW set.
2) has anyone had 2 different 11+ tutors at a time? would you suggest it or not?
DC17C

Re: Could a child be unsuccessful because of a tutor?

Post by DC17C »

Using a tutor is not going to guarantee a child passes- I guess if the tutor was not using the appropriate past papers etc then it is not going to help- are you having doubts about the tution? I don't think using more than one tutor at the same time is going to help- could be very confusing. How is DC doing generally at school? How are they doing with the homework being set by the tutor?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

The simple answer is 'yes'. Not all tutors are good, and if they are not up to speed with the 11+ exam in their area! what it contains, how the exam is laid out, then that may have a negative influence.

My dcs had different tutors, one was far better than the other. I found out, perhaps a bit late, that the second concentrated too much in one area, and hardly did any nvr. One dc passed, and passed well, the other didn't.

Also, all children are different, so different teaching methods will suit different children.

I wouldn't use two tutors at the same time, unless they were covering different aspects of the syllabus.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

pheasantchick is right - there are many reputable tutors out there, however, the reality is, anyone can set up as a tutor and the money involved, makes it an attractive proposition for some people. They may have the best intentions but may not be familiar with the papers (especially as so many are changing), and may not be skilled to use different teaching styles to aid different learners. They may have no teaching experience at all (obviously there are some very good tutors who aren't ex teachers!) And, as another poster commented - different children learn in different ways and may be beginning from different start points - even with a brilliant tutor, some of these children will never pass a particular exam, but they should improve in learning and confidence to learn. It's a bit of a minefield which is why most people go by a recommendation of some sort. If you are feeling uneasy about your tutor, try and identify what it is that is concerning you - match it back against how the child is coping in school - ask the class teacher if they have seen an improvement in the child's levels since they started with the tutor, maybe?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

If you could do it, DIY is the best as you would know first hand the strengths and weaknesses of your child and you could plan accordingly. But if you don't have time or child would simply not study with you (it needs lot and lot of patience as well as knowledge on your part too), then chose a tutor who is aware of the requirements of the tests of the targeted school. You need to find some one who is up-to date with the changes. I am aware of a tutor for Sutton schools who was insisting of doing NVR, even though all the Sutton boys grammars had abolished the NVR tests.

I am also aware of some children going to 2 or even more tutors. If the child really needs that many tutors, then I would think if grammar or selective independents would really suit him/her.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, DD had an inappropriate tutor. Had I found this site, we would never have used her, we would have DIYd, but it was our first and I had no clue. We are in Bucks and she insisted on using the Susan Daughtrey books that were not really the correct ones (old style Bucks test). In actual fact DD was probably not ready for the 11 plus anyway, but hindsight is a wonderful thing :)
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have known of many very hardworking and bright students over the years who have not gained entry into our local selectives. One of the main problems has been parents thinking that all they need to do is pay for a tutor and that is the ticket in. Unfortunately many of our local tutors are generalists who have not kept track with the changes in the exams and the substantial rise in the pass mark. Some of them have never been to the schools and certainly do not keep up with their admissions criteria. Some of them are still using past papers from years back when there has been a new set available for some years and the past papers no longer reflect the actual exam. There are plenty of students still revising VR and NVR for QE even though we are in the third year since both these subjects were abandoned. But can you say that these children are unsuccessful because of a tutor or because their parents did not do their homework properly? Every school has a website with a very detailed admissions policy and an annual open day. There are plenty of existing parents at the school who got their children a pass mark in their exam. But these parents choose to trust the tutor to do everything instead of doing their own research. How much is the tutor actually to blame for this? Many of the parents can't even tell you what materials the tutors are using. I would say that a child can be unsuccessful because their parents used a tutor who did not know enough about the exams they were taking. It really is buyer beware. If I wanted to get a dc into a selective school my first stop would be the parents who had already got their dc into the school, not a tutor. I even know of tutors who claim they got a dc into a school when in fact the dc left that tutor and got into the school using another tutor. But the parents did not check with the parents of the dc that it was that tutor who actually helped their dc gain a place. Parents need to be invested in the process and not think that a cheque book can buy a place at a school. Like everything else there are great tutors and some really really awful ones who give wrong advice and don't use the right material. Parents need to do their homework and get the great tutor not the awful one! DG
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

Daogroupie wrote: Many of the parents can't even tell you what materials the tutors are using.
My dd has a tutor and I have very good feedback about the tutor from various trusted sources and have seen the result myself. However, the above quote is true for me, not because I have little idea about the exam (Well, it is little but more than what it was a few months ago, thanks to all you kind and wise people on here) but because the work that my dd does in the sessions and homework give no indication as to what is it's source, i.e. nothing to give away which book it is from etc.

I know I can always ask the tutor but it feels, to me, a bit nosy to ask what material they use and also I can't envisage how I can do this for each of the piece of work they do, as it is so varied.

What are your thoughts on this DG?
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Since you are paying for the tuition I think you are entitled to ask what materials are being used. My DD had a tutor for a few months before her 11+ as again I did not feel I knew enough to DIY. She pointed out the EPE website to me and a couple of others she used for source material may be it was easier then as the test DD took was was just GL assessment VR papers. May be more complicated if 2-3 subjects and /or CEM tuition. You are the customer so don't be afraid to ask.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It's worth remembering that it's not just a case of how bright your DC is, but how much you as a parent research what is needed.