PS4

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sbarnes

PS4

Post by sbarnes »

Hello,

I am thinking of buying the new PS4. Do amy members and/or their children have any thoughts on the consoles performance etc..that they can share? Worth the money etc..

Thanks
DC17C

Re: PS4

Post by DC17C »

My DS certainly thinks it is fab. His face was a picture on Christmas day as I had told him for weeks there was no way he was going to get one! :D OH came up trumps and found one on the Tesco website the week before christmas and it was delivered in time for the big day!

I have no idea how much better it is than the PS3- we have kept the PS3 going too as we can use it for Blinkbox and netflix and I had my lego Marvel superheroes for PS3 as a christmas pressie :lol:
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Ds 1 loves it, but need to be aware there is no backwards compatability(yet) added bonus of the bluray player, but the camera isn't as good as the kinect on the Xbox one.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

thank you; ds has never been into these console games as such, so am wondering if it is such a good idea to get one now..lets see.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Wait a bit - it's still quite new and there have been issues.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Guest55 wrote:Wait a bit - it's still quite new and there have been issues.
For some yes... But to be fair Sony are very good and react quickly. I also cannot fault Microsoft regarding their Xbox CS either..
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

sbarnes wrote:thank you; ds has never been into these console games as such, so am wondering if it is such a good idea to get one now..lets see.
If he's not had a games console before, unless he simply must have the latest thing, I'd think about getting him a PS3. Now that the PS4 is out you can get a PS3 for a bargain price plus you can pick loads of games up for cheaper also.

Obviously the PS4 is superior but the PS3 is still a great console.

Be warned though. Whatever console you get he is likely to find it highly addictive and you may need to discipline the amount of time he spends playing on it.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Hi Sbarnes, Perhaps you should ask yourself what the console will be used for,and who by. That may answer your question as to which may be best, certainly the kinect is better than the ps camera, and the Xbox one kinect requires less space than the Xbox 360 kinect, or is it going to be used for hardened gamer action, which would suggest you would want the later consoles.. Would the ps bluray player be required??? And It sound daft but what games might he like to play, some are only released on one platform. Gran turismo versus Forza for example.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Although finally we have minecraft for ps3 it was too late for Christmas for us.

He will only have to wait 3 weeks for his birthday now though!

I suggest visiting a game shop when quiet, have a good chat with one of the assistants, and have a look at the available games, most game shop kids could talk the hind leg off a donkey about consoles. We are always a bit disappointed at the selections available for young teens on ps3 ie. Shoot em up games as my husband calls them, which do not have really gruesome animation, or swearing. There are a few 15's but not many compared to 18's, Ps2 games were much better in that respect.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

sbarnes wrote:Hello,

I am thinking of buying the new PS4. Do amy members and/or their children have any thoughts on the consoles performance etc..that they can share? Worth the money etc..

Thanks
Don't do it! In no time at all you will find a teenager sitting amongst empty cans of Monster / Red Bull / any other hideous high energy drink; crisp and chocolate wrappers; talking into headphones and claiming they can't leave / save any of the multitude of games that inhabit the space on the shelves once filled with books.

My DSs love the PS3 and have just purchased (without asking) an X-Box which means they have all bases covered. On the plus side it is very peaceful in our house - until I walk in and switch the thing off at the wall :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now