Independant school Q

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Roz12

Independant school Q

Post by Roz12 »

Hi all,

Is it correct that for your child to get into an independent school they need to have a predicted level 5 in their SATs. Or do they look at the overall person and include the interview in their judgement. As my DD is very extra curricular ad demonstrated this in her interviews but only predicted level 4s.

Any experiences or views

Thanks

Roz
Ladymuck

Re: Independant school Q

Post by Ladymuck »

It entirely depends on the independent school (which doesn't help you much I guess), but SATS have littler bearing in the independent school world ime. There will be a minimum standard they're looking for, and they seem to pay a lot of attention to their reasoning tests if you are weak on either maths or English.
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

ok thanks Ladymuck.

:)
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Dear Roz
It really depends on the schools so if you post the ones you are applying to it might help. It will appear in the primary/prep school report probably and some schools will no doubt be looking for 5s. However the school will take lots of things into account including of course how the entrance exam goes and if they interview all candidates they will be looking for potential rather than whatever your current school thinks! Hope all goes well.
iamfrazzled

Post by iamfrazzled »

Imposs to say. Wimbledon High now, which you have enquired about does nvr which would be hopeless for my dd who should be level 6 easily by then in english and maths.
She wouldn't even qualify if numbers applying were huge but for a school with only vr and english plus maths she would be maybe considered Scholarship level.
Likewise if your child plays an obsure intrument to grade 4-6 think harp, bassoon, euphonium and even maybe oboe then a school might look on them favourably . The levels dont really mean anything. Also ds is no use at SPAG so despite being able in general will get a lowly English mark so may not even make the interview cut.
Good Luck
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The school will make their own mind about a student based on their performance at the entrance exams and the interviews. I know of students who have got into indy schools with Level 4's. Focus specifically on the formats of the exams your student is taking. Doing well with that format will be far more important than predicted sats levels. DG
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

Thank you everyone I feel much better now.

All I can do wait for the results and hope for the best.

Roz :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now