Priory or KES?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Gibson123

Priory or KES?

Post by Gibson123 »

DS is working at NC Level 6 at school and will be sitting the higher SATs paper this year. His 11+ results do not reflect his ability at all (he sat QMGS after falling ill during the night before and it later transpired that he had tonsillitis), needless to say we realise that at this stage in the game there is nothing we can do about it.

With an offer of a GS looking unlikely, we're now considering KES or Priory. As far as I understand, Priory is a very pastoral school, we've heard a lot of positive things about it and feel that we would be happy for our DS to attend. At the same time, due to his academic ability we're questioning whether to prioritise KES.

Any feedback would be gratefully received. :)
HappyRobot

Re: Priory or KES?

Post by HappyRobot »

I would put him in a school that will push him, but also consider his personality. Some of my friends went to schools that they hated, because they really didn't suit the person they were.

Would he be happier in a laid back school, then Priory, if he would benefit from less stress, Priory.

Remember in the big scheme of things, he could do KES in 6th form and unless a person has been to Harrow or Eton, I really don't care what school my they went went to. I am more impressed by their unis, eg Cambridge or Oxford. If that's something you may want for your ds...then KES may be a better option.
Thegodfather

Re: Priory or KES?

Post by Thegodfather »

Gibson123 wrote:DS is working at NC Level 6 at school and will be sitting the higher SATs paper this year. His 11+ results do not reflect his ability at all (he sat QMGS after falling ill during the night before and it later transpired that he had tonsillitis), needless to say we realise that at this stage in the game there is nothing we can do about it.

With an offer of a GS looking unlikely, we're now considering KES or Priory. As far as I understand, Priory is a very pastoral school, we've heard a lot of positive things about it and feel that we would be happy for our DS to attend. At the same time, due to his academic ability we're questioning whether to prioritise KES.

Any feedback would be gratefully received. :)
I understand he was ill for the QMGS test but how did he get on in the B'ham ones? If he is bright yet has a bit of a stress around tests then Priory could help with that. I think with level 6s you are also likely to be offered a scholarship there. Priory has a range of abilities from low to high whereas KES only has higher ability kids. The size is also very different Priory has far fewer in the year. KES has many more opportunities for trips etc. if you can afford it! Priory has fewer. Your son could be a high flyer at Priory or one of the pack at KES. Kids will be pushed to achieve their best possible grades at both schools as this is how they are judged so I wouldn't worry about that. KES has the IB post 16 and Priory does A levels.

I assume you've had a look around both?