Change of preference

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

su1920

Change of preference

Post by su1920 »

Hi
Just a quick question on whether we can change the school order of preference that we applied on 31 Oct. Also, any implications of doing so would be useful.

Any thoughts and guidance would be useful.

Many thanks

S
Araucana girl

Re: Change of preference

Post by Araucana girl »

su1920 wrote:Hi
Just a quick question on whether we can change the school order of preference that we applied on 31 Oct. Also, any implications of doing so would be useful.

Any thoughts and guidance would be useful.

Many thanks

S
I think this has been asked before and the answer was that you have to wait until after 3rd March and then you are treated as a late applicant to the school which you want to be your first preference.
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
ahap

Post by ahap »

Changing your preferences on your application will normally only be accepted if there is a genuine reason for the change and any change request must be submitted in writing.
It is better to phone or visit the EssexCC and find out or they may treat it as a late application.
Good luck
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
su1920

Post by su1920 »

Thanks for the reply.

If they consider this as late application, would it have any impact on the allocation of my preferred school? I am worried this may affectthe chance of getting the preferred school applied before 31 Oct as my son has sufficient marks for that school.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If your application is marked as 'late" you will not be offered any place in the first round of offers (ie on March 3rd). effectively you will be on a waiting list - your position on the waiting list will be strictly by school admissions criteria (ie if it is a selective gs, this may be purely the child with the highest score is highest on the waiting list, if it is a state school, it will probably be catchment kids first on the waiting list etc). Your best bet is to call your LEA admissions team and speak to them about the implications of changing your preference.
su1920

Post by su1920 »

Thanks. Does this mean that even if my son scored enough marks for the g/s, he will be on waiting list? (ie assume his score is above the allocation day cut off mark) if yes, then it will be quite difficult to get the preferred choice if it's late application?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Can we assume that your DS is eligible (on score) for a school further down his list and you want him to go there rather than a school higher up the list that he is likely to get?

If so, it may be better to wait until March 3rd and get a school offered and then ask to go on the W/L of the preferred school.

This way at least you will have a school that you would be reasonably happy with ie it was on your list - it is possible that otherwise you may get a school you are not quite so happy with and face some uphill struggles to get a preferred place.
su1920

Post by su1920 »

Thanks, he is likely to get the first preference and we want change to another school lower down the order which he is likely to get as well.

I am not sure whether we can opt for a school lower down your list if they offer your first choice. My understanding is that once they offer the school in your highest preference, the rest are not looked at?

I spoke to the Admissions team it appears that they will be considering this as late application.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Then, as Herman suggested earlier, wait till the offer day, after that if you still want the other school ask them to keep you on the waiting list for that school and when you get offered that school, then you can reject the school that you no longer need/want.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

There is a comment on page 2 of this document about the situation of wanting a school lower down the list:

http://www.essex.gov.uk/Education-Schoo ... ooklet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I’ve decided I would prefer a lower
preference school than the one I have
been offered

Although you will be given the right of appeal for
any preference for which you were not offered
a place, your child’s name will automatically be
held on a waiting list for any preferences higher
than the one offered (see pages 13 and 16).
If, having received your offer, you decide you
would rather your child attends one of your lower
preference schools please put this request in
writing to School Planning and Admissions. Your
application to that school will then be reactivated
and added to the appropriate place on the
waiting list if there are no places available
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now