Independent sixth form college

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cocobean

Independent sixth form college

Post by cocobean »

Has anyone with a DC at an independent sixth form college and can tell me their experience.
We are new to sixth form and are wondering if a college would be better than a sixth form at school.
KenR

Re: Independent sixth form college

Post by KenR »

Know quite a bit about them - DW taught in one for a number of years and we know a few students who have attended.

Can work well particularly if the student has special curriculum requirements that can't be satisfied via state sixth form colleges.

Particularly good for students that need to do either 1 year intensive A level resits in particular subjects, also for intensive/crash short revision courses.

The staff and tutors in those colleges are often very good a maximising potential for University applicants and advising which courses and subject are prepared to consider resit students.

Know a couple of students who successfully went to and independent sixth form college and were successful in getting into study medicine.

I would normally recommend a state sixth form college as 1st choice but only go for a independent if really required
cocobean

Re: Independent sixth form college

Post by cocobean »

Thanks for that KenR. But it is getting a good sixth form in London. The schools can pick A* students. We have already been turned down for one and my DC is predicted As and Bs.
We will look into it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now