Interviews - general pointers

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

leanmeamum

Interviews - general pointers

Post by leanmeamum »

With lots of Indies about to start interviewing, I thought I would give few hints. These general pointers can be used for the 11+ or other ages. Hope they help. Please feel free to add more points to the list

These are just general pointers and do not contain any interview questions. You will be asked questions about subjects you are learning in school / questions based on general awareness so remember to REVISE before you go in for the interview.

Research, Research, Research – Find out as much as you can about the school before the interview. Look on their website, talk to existing students, etc. Make a list of all the extra-curricular activities available and the ones you like. Do the same for the subjects on offer. This will help to show an interest in the school and you can talk confidently about what you like about the school and what it has to offer. You can also answer the often asked question “What can you offer our school?” because you can align your strong/favourite activities/subjects to what the school has to offer.

Read Up - Make sure you have chosen a book you can talk about at length and in detail. You might be asked which book you are reading currently. Choose a book you have read and understood really well and can discuss in detail and intelligently. Remember it could be a book you read a while back – the school does not know which book you are reading at present.

Family and Current School – Think about your family and your current school. Make a list of things you can say about them. Remember DO NOT criticise either of them.

Yourself – Think of what you can say about yourself – your hobbies, interests, ambitions, etc. Try to sound enthusiastic but not arrogant.

Brush Up – Make sure you know your Maths and other subjects being tested well before you go in as questions are often asked which require you to think on your feet and do calculations on the hop. Brush up on basics as these can often trip you up.

Think before you Leap – Think of your answers before replying but do not take too long. An easy technique to give you extra thinking time is to ask for the question to be repeated – DO NOT do this for more than 1 or 2 questions as it can backfire!

Give them a Chance – Let the interviewer speak and listen carefully to what they are saying. Do not rush with your answer and do not cut them off while they are talking.

Polite – Be polite and courteous and remember to wish them on arrival and Thank them for giving you their time and interviewing you. Remember First and Last impressions are important.

GOOD LUCK
Snowdrops

Re: Interviews - general pointers

Post by Snowdrops »

These are ten year old kids. I'm sure the interviewer will know when a child has been coached with interview answers.

My dd went to two indie interviews, never did any of the above suggestions and got offered both places.

I think it's important to be yourself. Interviewers will be experienced in drawing the best out of a child. By all means encourage a child to chat when spoken to, but I personally would not advocate going so over the top.
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

Thank you for those tips, they are good preparation even if the interview turns out to be a straightforward one.

We have just received an interview appointment letter which states that the children will be questioned on current affairs and they are advised to listen to the news for the next 2 weeks. I was feeling fairly relaxed about interviews until I got this, not sure my 11 year old will be able to discuss this sort of thing.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Great tips - will use them next year. My nephews at a prep school near us will have 'interview' training with their 11+ transfer lady - when they do their 11+. I need her number :lol:
Iq7767

Post by Iq7767 »

These are great pointers, thanks for the input. Some in the past have been asked to describe a picture they are shown and some have been asked about famous people who died in the previous year.
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Snowdrops wrote:These are ten year old kids. I'm sure the interviewer will know when a child has been coached with interview answers.

My dd went to two indie interviews, never did any of the above suggestions and got offered both places.

I think it's important to be yourself. Interviewers will be experienced in drawing the best out of a child. By all means encourage a child to chat when spoken to, but I personally would not advocate going so over the top.
I'm with SnowDrops. Trying to get my stubborn DS to do any of the above is a hmmm type of moment. He's 10! Perhaps that's a problem and he will fail though. Only time will tell. Each to their own, though, and if it works for you guys, great. Us, much more low key just a reminder to do eye contact and be polite (which most of the DCs going for these schools will be in any case as a matter of course, I'd have thought) ..... Good luck to all.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

These are not coaching tips but general points a child should be aware of and able to talk about confidently.

My son was asked if he has any siblings and then to talk about his sister for 2 minutes. He was also asked questions about the room they were being interviewed in, books he was reading at the time, some Maths questions and general awareness questions. All this in 1/2 an hour.

I know some 10 year olds who don't even know their address!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

As I said, if you have a child who can chat and hold a conversation then the questions they are asked will give the interviewers enough to know whether or not they are suitable for that school.

If a child doesn't know their own address the interviewers would be interested to know that and may, or may not, decide the child isn't right for their school.

A child who, on the surface, seems able to answer questions but when probed a little deeper may fluster and embarrass themselves then certainly the interviewer will recognise that and know the difference between a coached child and one who is naturally inquisitive and intelligent, even if they don't have the answers to the questions.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

I just posted these to help parents who have no idea about indie interviews - just to help them.

Both my children did not need any coaching for interviews and came out with scholarship offers. They were confident because they had a lot of interaction with people and us as parents. We spend time talking about various issues - news and otherwise so they are very clued up. Both could discuss news issues with adults very knowledgeably even at the age of 10 as we make sure they watch the news everyday.

My post was meant to help people and consists of points which most 10 year olds should be aware of whether they are going in for interviews or not.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Thanks leanmeamum, some good stuff here.

Elder Dd's experience was a lot more relaxed than this and I'm expecting younger Dd's to be the same :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now