Clement Danes and Bushey Meads to expand

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
decaff

Clement Danes and Bushey Meads to expand

Post by decaff »

According to Watford Observer 17/01/2013 both these schools look set to increase their PAN by a further 30. I was aware that local authority were trying to get schools to agree to this due to huge shortfall of places over next few years. Not sure when this will happen but its looks like its on its way.
decaff

Re: Clement Danes and Bushey Meads to expand

Post by decaff »

Sorry that's 17/01/2014
Nearly over

Post by Nearly over »

The County Council are also in negotiation to expand Queens School. Queens wants
c£7m to expand by one class, which County says is too much.
HenryVIII

Post by HenryVIII »

Bushey Meads has £3.5 million to expand - the work is anticipated to be finished in 2015 so will impact on that year's in take. More info is on their website in the 'headlines' section. All schools in Herts (whether primary/secondary) are tasked with finding extra space - quite a contentious issue if you read what is happening in London schools, and naturally being so close to London the population 'boom' there impacts on us (not necessarily a bad thing when tired buildings/facilities are replaced.)
decaff

Post by decaff »

There are a huge number of families moving out of London due to changes in Housing Benefit. Also families coming to UK to find work with children. The local birth rate at moment is huge. This puts extra strain on local public services outside London, particularly schools. I don't think anybody could have foreseen huge rise in number of children needing school places. I think the local authority are panicking as they now know there will be a huge shortfall in secondary places in next few years. With no firm plans to start building a new school yet I believe their only option is to expand current schools. This is even with new Free School which opened in September 2013. I feel quite lucky to have already been through process and know my children are sorted.
HenryVIII

Post by HenryVIII »

Yes, I too feel lucky to have completed my family and having them educated ahead of the 'curve'.

There's a lot of building in our area (flats); it all seems rather overpriced (perhaps because they are buy-to-let?) and this impacts on local resources. The housing market though seems moribund; I was speaking to someone last week and they sold their house the first day it went on sale for the asking price and had an offer accepted on another property immediately - there is so little housing stock available. But I don't really have evidence that more people are arriving in the area and there is very little churn on our road or at the primary school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now