Product Design GCSE or Business Studies GCSE

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ironman

Product Design GCSE or Business Studies GCSE

Post by Ironman »

Can anyone please advise whether Product Design GCSE or Business Studies GCSE is easier to get a good grade in? My son loves both subjects and is talented in both but unfortunately because of the elective option system in his school can only do one.

Thanks.
scary mum

Re: Product Design GCSE or Business Studies GCSE

Post by scary mum »

In my opinion Business Studies - it is also much less time consuming, but the decision will presumably be affected by what your sone may want to do at A level?
scary mum
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Thanks. He wants to do both.
estelle

Post by estelle »

My DS is taking Product Design GCSE this summer. It is a very enjoyable course & he is getting a huge amount of satisfaction from it but as scary mum says it's very time consuming because of all the course work. It requires constant diligence-there's no last minute cramming!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Ironman wrote:Thanks. He wants to do both.
Assuming this means that he wants to do Product Design and Business Studies at A level? Certainly you can take Business Studies at A level, or Degree level, without having taken the previous level...I would suspect, that although Product Design will be more time consuming, he may learn very useful skills at GCSE that may make it easier at A level.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Product design is useful for a wider range of careers. For example, any design related degree, engineering, architecture ....
KB

Post by KB »

Product design is certainly the tougher option but as said above it will be more use and keep options open at A level. GCSE Business studies is not required for any A levels but PD might well be required for A level Tech subjects and will certainly be very helpful for them.
It does take a huge amount of time but it provides training in several useful 'transferable' skills.
solimum

Post by solimum »

My DS1 did Design Tech (resistant materials) and Business Studies for GCSE, did well and carried them both onto A level together with Maths & Physics. He hated the BS and dropped it with relief after AS, but went on to to an Engineering degree (and hopefully a PhD sometime this year...). In his school the Bus - GCSE used to involve them inventing and running a small business to sell items (key rings, picture frames etc) at the annual open day which I suspect was one of the reasons the subject was very popular for several years - I think they've stopped that now. DT is time consuming and some pupils spent hours perfecting their masterpieces as well as the accompanying designs and evaluation - I'm not sure if Product Design has such a substantial practical component ?
KB

Post by KB »

Not quite as much practical I think but lots of course work and still fair amount of actual 'doing'.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Thanks all for your advice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now