Assisted place phone call.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Natalie74

Assisted place phone call.

Post by Natalie74 »

Oh my goodness! I've just had a phone call inviting my DS for an interview for an assisted place next Thursday. I'm in shock and over the moon. Could hardly get my words out on the phone. Good luck to everyone else waiting for their phone calls  x
Natalie74

Re: Assisted place phone call.

Post by Natalie74 »

Does anyone know how many children who applied for an AP sat the test? How many they are planning to interview? How many AP's are available?
GuidingStar

Post by GuidingStar »

which school you are talking about?
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Oh good news Natalie :D

I think I read on here that almost half of the people who sat the test were requesting an AP this year. I think they usually interview double the amount of places they have to offer. In previous years they were offering 30-35 APs but this year they have funding for 50 - it is on their website.

Good luck!
UmSusu
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

GuidingStar wrote:which school you are talking about?
This is KES - King Edward School Birmingham
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

Sorry, I should of said it's for KES school. Really surprised as he scored 220 in the 11+ which unfortunately wasn't enough for Camp Hill (which is at the end of our road) and probably not enough for FW.

So you think they will be interviewing 100 children for the 50 places? I'm going to have to take him out of school for him to attend the interview. Do children usually go in their school uniform? Or should I buy him something smarter?

Thank you for all of your advice. Don't know what I'd do without this site. X
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Oh, good luck! I suspect it is the AP pot that is the limiting factor, in reality. If they have lots of candidates who they really like, they will offer them a little bit less, but if there is only a few, they will offer them a bit more! Personally I would definitely school uniform it as then you do not risk offending anyone by being over casual or over smart and it may make a useful icebreaker..."so, tell me about such and such school"... Hope it goes well!
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

It's usual to go in school uniform, the smartened version :lol: (for my DS that means shirt actually tucked in, hair brushed and :shock: showered :shock: )!!! Definitely don't buy anything.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Agree, uniform is the best way. It might not look as posh as the prep school uniforms but it is more straightforward than trying to set the right tone with their other clothes. Besides, they will probably be going back to school after it.

I did have to go out and buy new school trousers though as he never kept them in great
condition and I had given up trying!

The son of a friend was offered AP: they were told that the amount of APs awarded depends on the amount needed. If you qualify for the AP then you are awarded the amount you have been assessed at. They don't offer you less to stretch the pot further to more candidates. After interview they prioritise candidates and work down the list until the money runs out.

As for the grammar scores: some exams suit particular candidates better. DS1 did far better in the grammars than he did in the Indie exams. DS2 was the opposite..
UmSusu
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Natalie, fabulous news for you and your DS and very best of luck.