Habs boys interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Finchley mum

Habs boys interviews

Post by Finchley mum »

Interesting time today at interview. Very quick and efficient. But one group was asked whether they had a tutor to help them get into the school and another was not. I wonder why there was a difference. All the boys were from state primaries though.

Our interview with deputy head was nice though. He said very clearly that if they thought that a boy was not going to thrive at Habs, then he would not be offered a place. Which cheers me up because I would hate to spend all that money for DS to be miserable so would rather he go to local comp in that situation!
Daogroupie

Re: Habs boys interviews

Post by Daogroupie »

Interesting feedback Finchley Mum so def no preps there?

Did you get any information on how many boys applied and how many were offered interviews? DG
Finchley mum

Post by Finchley mum »

They said approximately 550 boys sat the exam and they were interviewing just under 300. In our slot, there were just boys from my son's state primary and another state primary in north London. They mixed up the groups of 4 as well. In and out in 30 minutes just as they said it would be. It's a very slick machine.
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

DS had his interview on Thursday. In his group of 8 there were a mixture of prep & state school children & again in the group interview of 4.
We had an interview with the Head, about 8-10 minutes. (Hoping this meeting has no bearing on DS!)
Individual interview was direct questioning - not much room for DS to add anything else.
He was asked where else he has applied to. And would he choose Habs.
Angelcake

Post by Angelcake »

Ds had 7 in his group, from 5 different schools, of which I would guess there were 2 from one prep, based on their uniforms. The Registrar did say they they have a lot of applicants from some schools, which I took to be the local preps, and they would all be together.

He was neither asked whether he had a tutor or whether it was his first choice school, just why he wanted to come to the school.

The Deputy opened our interview by saying that it had no bearing on the application process. We hope he meant this as we seemed to be scored a "B" at the end, which we took to be a judgement of the likelihood of us accepting a place if offered. Presumably they are trying to judge how many places to offer.