Morrisby Testing

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KS10

Morrisby Testing

Post by KS10 »

We've just had an email about this from DS's school. I've had a quick read and I'm pretty sure it's unnecessary. Thought I'd ask on here though, just in case.
hermanmunster

Re: Morrisby Testing

Post by hermanmunster »

DS did it - was offered as a freeby to some of his year, think he found it quite interesting and career options mentioned were helpful
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I'm quite a lazy parent :oops: . DS would have to be in school on a Saturday morning to do the tests and then there's the option of a feedback interview which we would be able to attend. It's not a freebie (£60) but we would consider it if the consensus is that it's a good thing.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I had this done on myself as part of a job I once did. It is very thorough, I would say that for it. I was given two reports detailing all my strengths, weaknesses, interests etc and then a list of careers it had decided were suitable for me. Always good to find out you're in the wrong job, especially when your employer has paid for the testing.

A friend's daughter had it done at school and found it interesting though ultimately unhelpful in choosing a career path. Don't know, on balance I would probably go for it as long as you are aware it is just one tool. And warn against the dangers of comparing with others. It draws little graphs to show you where you are against the general population, and says things like 'you are stronger in this area than 86% of UK adults' , that type of thing. Which of course has obvious pitfalls in the hands of a bunch of teenagers.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thanks hm and Amber for your responses.

Just spoke to OH about it and his view is that 'it's a luxury for a child of that age'. So I'm now almost 100% sure that he won't be doing it, unless DS discovers that everyone else is doing it and puts pressure on OH to reconsider. Knowing DS, though, he won't really be aware of what everyone else is doing.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Ok - let me start by throwing in the professional qualification: MSc in Careers Advice and adviser for over 15 years. OK - got that out of the way.

Morrisby testing is a psychometric test that is, as Amber points out, often used in the early stages of interviewing for jobs. It is, to a certain extent standardised against people who take it, so it gives you an idea of where you are nationally - careers advice in most state schools now, is exceptionally patchy as the Connexions Service was disbanded several years ago and there is very little true, impartial advice available. Private schools often say they have their own Careers Adviser - if this is a school employed member of staff, then they are not impartial anyway, as it is in the schools interest to push options available in school, rather than talking about the wider community.

Morrisby testing is one of the most respected careers advice tools on the market and, in the absence of any other form of impartial advice, I wold say that it is a useful tool - but note it is a tool - one of many in the box, one of many that cannot be used in isolation! It is particularly good at identifying possible unthought of careers ideas, and strengths and weaknesses and maybe confirming an idea. To be honest, without the feedback interview, I wouldn't say it is that useful, as the skill with Morrisby is usually the practitioner who helps you interpret the results - in my experience, these are always professionally qualified Careers Advisers who have specifically been trained in Morrisby (not cheap training) and who can offer quite lot more information and advice than appears on the report.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I agree with your OH, thinking about it. I did it at 30 and maybe that was a little late (my employer was testing out various psychometric tests on existing employees with a view to introducing something for recruitment. I did quite a few) but 14-15 does seem a little young.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

http://www.fasttomato.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a DIY version of it run by Morrisby and does pretty much the same thing for £9.50 and with up to five years access! :D
KS10

Post by KS10 »

To be honest, without the feedback interview, I wouldn't say it is that useful, as the skill with Morrisby is usually the practitioner who helps you interpret the results - in my experience, these are always professionally qualified Careers Advisers who have specifically been trained in Morrisby (not cheap training) and who can offer quite lot more information and advice than appears on the report.
This is the case at DS's school.

Thanks for the link, S-A.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.ukcoursefinder.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is free!