Invigilator making comments during Latymer NVR test

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

herewegoagain

Invigilator making comments during Latymer NVR test

Post by herewegoagain »

My dd took the NVR Latymer test today. It's standard format. She uses a system of crossing through the answers that are incorrect so eliminating some of them before reaching the answer she decides to pick and circle. Halfway through the test she was told to stop doing this ie not to mark the question paper other than putting the circle on the answer. I feel this may have affected her performance. I'm interested to know a) if anyone else's child was given the same instruction b) why this isn't made clear before the test begins if it is a rule eg it could easily be made clear during the practice test or practice questions c) whether it's grounds for an appeal. I'd be very interested in other views.
Katie

Post by Katie »

goodness - never heard of that one before - and I thought it was bad in Torbay. If it's not written in rules at the beginning of the exam (which most things are!) then I'd think you have a very good case?
Appeal panel clerk

Post by Appeal panel clerk »

Katie wrote:goodness - never heard of that one before - and I thought it was bad in Torbay. If it's not written in rules at the beginning of the exam (which most things are!) then I'd think you have a very good case?
I agree, unless the children were clearly told at the start of the test that they shouldn't write on the paper I think you would be quite justified in appealing on those grounds. The instruction should also be reinforced on the pages of the test booklet as children can't be expected to remember everything they are told in a stressful situation. A lot of children would be mortified at being criticised during a test and would be completely put off concentrating. If it doesn't upset your daughter, get an account from her now of how she felt when it happened, and get someone independent to sign and date it, as the appeal date might be quite a long way in the future.

Post by Guest »

This happened at QE last year. Schools seem not to make instructions clear to invigilators.

I have had experience of appealing at Latymer for maladministration. The panel definately did not feel independent - in fact appeals are not passed on to the local authority as is the case of QE and DAO. The panel nor the school wanted to discuss any issue surrounding maladministration.

Post by Guest »

I have had experience of appealing at Latymer for maladministration. The panel definately did not feel independent - in fact appeals are not passed on to the local authority as is the case of QE and DAO. The panel nor the school wanted to discuss any issue surrounding maladministration.
Would you mind posting information about your appeal on this section. When looking at appeals info on this forum there is very little info about Herts appeals and it may be useful for some of us in the future! Thank you
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now