Habs Boys vs Merchnat Taylor's School?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nups19

Habs Boys vs Merchnat Taylor's School?

Post by nups19 »

Hi! Just like to know opinions on the two schools? Which one is better in terms of all round development and pastoral care?
current

Re: Habs Boys vs Merchnat Taylor's School?

Post by current »

I would love to know as well ..

My boy gave the test for both and got through to MTS but did not make Habs and I thought both were similar academically..
nups19

Post by nups19 »

Well, I have heard better things about MTS..so you are in a good position I guess.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Habs is a fantastic school, I know lots of boys there who are thriving. I don't know that much about MTS so I am not in a position to comment but I do know that Habs are flexible and willing to listen to parents and I have never heard of a boy being unhappy there. They are also wonderful at sport. I go to the final of the County Athletics Championship at Hemel every year and I have watched them lift the cup in both age groups every year. DG
nups19

Post by nups19 »

Thankyou for your response . Much appreciated.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They are also very good at debating with lots of entries on that cup too though DAO beat them at the recent debating competition held at Habs girls. Basically I see them in action at lot! But this is also because they are in Herts so they appear in all the same events that we do! MTS could well be winning all the stuff in Middlesex! DG
nups19

Post by nups19 »

Thank you DG. I just felt it to be a little bit more 'old school' as compared to MTS..but that's my opinion. Its just a feeling I got...I could be wrong, MTS appeared more modern in its approach, while Habs more traditional. Anyway, I guess, one can never be sure if one is making the right choice for their child until he or she actually starts going to that school.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I just felt it to be a little bit more 'old school' as compared to MTS
Nups19, that was certainly true in the 80s. MTS was always a slightly quirky school and able to accommodate boys with a wide variety of interests, whereas Habs was slightly more formal in its approach. However, I hasten to add that I have no direct, modern-day experience of either school.

In my day Taylors was in a completely different league from Habs at most sport, but again my day was quite a few days ago :D
nups19

Post by nups19 »

Thanks Rob. Can anyone on the forum give a more recent feedback?
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

My DS has been at MTS from year 7 and will be sitting GCSE's this summer. He had had offers from both Habs and MT. He was a very shy, quiet boy and we felt that due to his personality he would have sunk at Habs. Our impression of the school, at that time, was that all boys are highly competitive, alpha males.

We made our decision between the two by recalling how our DS had reacted to the teachers when we had visited at the open days. At Habs when the teachers spoke to him he was rather nervous and didn't really want to respond whereas at MT he was happy to ask them questions and responded to theirs quite happily. Of course we were only analysing his response to the teachers not the teachers themselves!!!

The big plus for MT is their tutor group sysystem. He has had the same tutor since year 7 and she knows him really well, they meet in their group every week and have individual meetings after grades have been given and when reports have been written, to go over feedback etc.

The school is also very supportive in that they do organise meetings/extra help outside of the classroom should the boys need them to help them get their grades for the public exams.

We really like MT because they develop the boys into individuals as opposed to a specific 'mould'.

Ultimately it depends on your child and their personality. We have been very happy with MT and the progress made by my DS. He really is extremely happy there and we don't regret our decision at all.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now