Music Scholarship chigwell & forest

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kelwaypops

Music Scholarship chigwell & forest

Post by kelwaypops »

dd recently sat for the above. anyone else out there with a dc who sat for these?
Missmolly

Re: Music Scholarship chigwell & forest

Post by Missmolly »

My Ds sat for it too.Have you heard anything yet regarding it?
kelwaypops

Post by kelwaypops »

no, from what i have heard with regard to the music scholarship (as opposed to the academic one) you don't hear from them and instead have to wait until they post out their letters letting you know if your child got in or not. did your ds sit for 'all three' namely forest, chigwell & bancrofts? dd didn't sit for bancrofts, never fancied it to be honest, isn't really 'our thing' although does look to be a fantastic school.
Missmolly

Post by Missmolly »

Thanks for the info.Ds only sat for Chigwell.And goodluck to your Dd.
kelwaypops

Post by kelwaypops »

really gutted actually :0( as saw a friend today who told me that someone she know's daughter (who also sat for music scholarships) apparently had a 'music recall'. if this is true (as sometimes things get exagerated/misunderstood) then that means dd won't be offered one as we haven't heard anything. my understanding is that it is only the academic scholarships that do additional interviews. tbh i didn't really think that dd would be offered one. she is of the standard (learning grade 6 piano having got a distinction gr5 piano nearly a year ago) but she isn't what you would call a hot housed child that ticks all the scholarship standard boxes. i guess it depends on what they are looking for. in a way it would be a relief as we couldn'r really comfortably afford to send her but would have. there is always the 13+ !!!! best of luck to you too
Missmolly

Post by Missmolly »

Is this for Chigwell or Forest school?
kelwaypops

Post by kelwaypops »

i am not sure. this girl was put forward for scholarships to all three (chigwell, forest, bancrofts) to name but a few. i am not sure if she (supposedly) got called in relation to music scholarship or the academic scholarship nor do i know for which school, i was just told that she was called re music scholarship (i was too upset and shocked to ask in connection to which of the schools). she may have it wrong. this particular girl has been moulded for the last few years, literally, for scholarships, her mother obsesses about it and has passed this on to her dd. for years (my) dd has told me how this girl (since year 3/4) would walk around telling everyone that she would get a scholarship for this school and that school when she was older :? i think it cruel to put such pressure on your child. still disappointed though. i thought dd was doing so well, i don't think natural talent is enough..
kelwaypops

Post by kelwaypops »

ps: my personal choice was chigwell. dh went there and loved it, it looks like a fine school. call me a snob but i really don't want dd going to a state school which is pretty much where it looks like she is going to go :cry:
Missmolly

Post by Missmolly »

I think the person in question must have got it muddled up.I don't think it's Chigwell because there is nothing that says on their website that the children that attended the music scholarship audition will be called back except for those that did very well at the entrance exams will be called back for scholarship interview.
My Ds loves Chigwell and we are hoping he gets an offer.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Elsewhere on the forum there is a thread about someone claiming that they have had a letter from HBS to say that their DD is higher up in the ranking than the "you are in the top 250" letter that other "top" candidates have been sent. It could be that this "information" is something akin to the non-existent HBS letter.

You could phone each of the schools you have applied to and ask them to confirm when you can expect to hear the result of your DD's application? I'm sure their admissions staff get much sillier questions than that and at least you will get accurate information "from the horse's mouth" rather than Chinese whispers.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx