11+ diy campaign schedule

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
enema

11+ diy campaign schedule

Post by enema »

Hi, I'm currently doing a DIY campaign - currently we've been doing a work cycle of 2 days of VR, then 2 days of English, 2 days of NVR and 2 days of Maths. (Half an hour per morning).

I'm now wondering if it would be better to do a week of one subject at a time, thus rotating the subjects every 4 weeks, with my reasoning being that a week of solidly doing VR eg rotation tasks, would be a significant amount of time to understand, absorb and practice, thus the learning being better retained than would be on the 2 day schedule. The 2 day schedule reduces the likelihood of my child getting bored though.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience or ideas on scheduling the work areas and for how long. DD is y4. I was intending to work on on speed and testing next year. Just looking at basic learning regarding how to approach tasks this year.
mystery

Re: 11+ diy campaign schedule

Post by mystery »

Love your name. Very surprised no one else had already used it.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Which schools are you interested in? is it a MC or standard paper? Is the VR/NVR a first round to get through? The answers to these questions will determine your approach. DG
enema

Post by enema »

Thanks.

I'm looking at Trafford grammars and Manchester independents so GL assessment. As far as I know there is no first round, entrance exams are basically one sitting followed by interviews.
Last edited by enema on Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Lol! I thought it was a play on a medical procedure most of us feel, after too much 11+ stuff!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

enema wrote:Thanks, it's my initials, a la Eminem style.

I'm looking at Trafford grammars and Manchester independents so GL assessment. As far as I know there is no first round, entrance exams are basically one sitting followed by interviews.
Try the Practice and Pass series by Peter Williams perhaps? he is a Trafford tutor who wrote these books to help with prep for 11+ in that area.
enema

Post by enema »

Thanks, is not the materials I'm seeking advice on though - it's the prepping schedule! Think will stick to the 2 day pattern and maybe extend it as and when we get to something that she finds particularly tough.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Does each school you are going for use all four papers? Or do they have a combined VR/NVR paper which has equal weighting with the English and Maths ones? DG
enema

Post by enema »

They're a mix - one grammar is VR, NVR and Maths, each as a separate section; another is similarly VR, Maths, English; and 2 independents are all four plus a creative writing exercise. English and Maths are taught at her state primary so theoretically she should have more exposure to these subjects, whereas VR and NVR are not - we're in a non-grammar authority but live a couple of streets away from a grammar LA boundary.
Bourne Mum

Post by Bourne Mum »

Hiya. One week per subject worked best for us.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now