Publication closest to CEM

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

berks_mum

Publication closest to CEM

Post by berks_mum »

Understand CEM is unpredictable, however, areas where CEM is in use for a good amount of time may have some observations on these lines or none at all ?
parent2013

Re: Publication closest to CEM

Post by parent2013 »

It is predictable if you focus on basic concepts and practise doing crazy speed test (for example Bond assessment in half the time allowed). My DS got top score of 280 in Bexley (CEM) and we did not buy a single CEM specific material.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is very helpful Parent2013, is there anything else you can tell us about your preparation? So you feel that timing was the key for your ds? DG
deevee

Post by deevee »

Agree with parent2013. My DS (who was preparing for Reading Boys - at that time RBS had Maths, Reasoning and English papers) attended Bucks CEM style papers and was able to score well above cut-off, with no specific CEM style preparation.

There were two things he complained about - time factor, not enough time to complete all the questions and hard Vocabulary. For speed issues, Parent2013's suggestion are simple and easy to follow, whatever paper you ask your DC to do, Bond, GL, etc, reduce the time! Vocabulary - mm, you know the answer, read, read and read.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

deevee and parent2013,

You DSs are probably bright as they managed to score high against time and hard vocabulary issues. What percentage of CEM papers were they able to complete in given time ?
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

I found the CGP CEM exam papers helpful for my ds.
deevee

Post by deevee »

Sorry, I'm not trying to say my DS was bright, just, wanted to emphasize that you do not have rely just on CEM style papers, any other standard papers would do too, but, the key is timing them.

And, no, my son did not complete all the Bucks papers, can't remember how many he left out , but certainly few questions in all the papers.

Vocabulary (as advised by many in this forum) the best way to improve would be to read more books , but, my DS was never an avid reader :( and didn't know many words given in the test.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Lots of DIY Cloze - using good quality broadsheet or articles
(see B/ham threads)

make sure they really understand the words
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

MamaBear wrote:I found the CGP CEM exam papers helpful for my ds.
MamaBear Thanks !

Did you use CGP study books, CGP - Practice,Prepare,Pass or just the Test papers ?
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

deevee wrote:Sorry, I'm not trying to say my DS was bright, just, wanted to emphasize that you do not have rely just on CEM style papers, any other standard papers would do too, but, the key is timing them.

And, no, my son did not complete all the Bucks papers, can't remember how many he left out , but certainly few questions in all the papers.

Vocabulary (as advised by many in this forum) the best way to improve would be to read more books , but, my DS was never an avid reader :( and didn't know many words given in the test.
Thanks reeve. Lack of non definitive Vocabulary is my biggest worry so the last sentence offers some consolation.