Should I read anything positive into this?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Freddiefox2002

Should I read anything positive into this?

Post by Freddiefox2002 »

Hi All,
I have applied for a place at a good local independent school for my son after he didn't perform as well as expected in his eleven plus (he's borderline for one of our local grammars but it is a long commute away).
He took the entrance exams and we should find out at the end of the week/weekend whether he has a place. However, us accepting the place depends entirely upon him securing a substantial bursary. We have applied and are crossing our fingers but realise that it is a long shot.
I emailed the bursary last night to let them know that my husband's income for 2012/13 had actually reduced slightly from the previous year. We had submitted our 2911/12 tax return with the application as the paperwork had to be in back in November and we hadn't completed the 12/13 one at that point.
The bursary assistant then emailed me this morning to day could I send in a copy of the latest tax return for their files.
Do you think this is a faintly positive sign that we are in with a shout of an award?
A small part of me is thinking that if we had been roundly turned down they wouldn't have bothered asking for the latest return as proof of my husband's income?
I know I'm clutching at straws a bit, but it's so awful waiting!
Thanks,
FF2002
Daogroupie

Re: Should I read anything positive into this?

Post by Daogroupie »

If they are going through your paperwork at this late stage it would seem likely that they are considering you as an applicant for a bursary. When are the results due? DG
Freddiefox2002

Post by Freddiefox2002 »

Hi Daogroupie,
Results are due this Friday (14th). I'm not sure if they are posted that day or we receive them though. I was unsure whether we'd hear about a bursary at the same time as the exam results/place offer?
I had another email from the bursary office today (after I emailed the tax return info in) which said they had added it to my son's file ready to go before the committee. So it sounds as though we are being considered. I am under no illusion that we are still looking at a long shot for the sort of bursary we'd need though.
FF2002
eal238

Post by eal238 »

I haven't heard anything from the school we've applied to. I had a letter in January stating my financial information provided meant that I'd qualify for 100% bursary but that it was no guarantee of 100% or a bursary at all.

It stated they may consider doing a home visit after the interviews (which we had on Friday 7th) and I have assumed that this is a positive sign, because they want to be sure about my family circs because they are considering assisting with a substantial amount of £££..

The school breaks up for half term on the 14th, and then reconvenes on the 24th - offers are sent out on the 27th for receipt on the 28th, and I suspect, if I haven't heard anything by the end of this week, then it's a no go for us..

Since Friday, my gut instinct is that he will be offered a place but no assistance. So it's a case of keeping my fingers crossed that we can be put on a bursary waiting list, in case somebody doesn't get the level of assistance they need and that it may be the right amount for us.. but no guarantees of that either.

The small mercy is that there are two very good state comprehensives beside me, one achieves almost on the scale of the indie.. but no guarantee of getting the good one either - the local authority dishes out the comp places!

Good luck to you and your DC, hope you get your offer of a place and the bursary you need!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now