should we appeal (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bubbles

should we appeal (Bucks)

Post by bubbles »

THis is my first post, having been a frequent reader for the past few years.
We have read loads of threads on appeals, and much of the very useful information given on this sight, however,we are left undecided as to whether or not we should appeal.
We are in Buckinghamshire, and did not go through the selection review process due to an extremely low mark in the 90s!! This was an unexpected, shock result. We have left the option open to appeal to a named school.
Our DC was supported by the head teacher with a 2:2, and is predicted to get 3 level 5s: 5B for reading and maths and 5c for writing. The end of year 5 sat results were: reading 4a, writing 4b, and maths 4a. The school does do CATS : average of 119 in year 5. Reading age is roughly in line with chronological age, and spelling age is slightly above. We appreciate that these results are not shouting 'genius.'

However our DC does have a problem, which was picked up after the 11+, as a result of such a poor performance. DC was seen by an Ed Psych, and it turns out DC has a slow processing speed, (below average), and a slow phonological processing speed, (way below average), which affects reading speed, and qualifies DC for extra time, which the school are applying for. Given that much of the 11+ was reading, including the maths section, it explains why DC performed so badly. The highest result on the 11+ was for NV, at 21.05....no reading involved!! The perceptual reasoning and working memory scores from the Ed Psych's were in the superior ranges.

Would we have a case given the fact that DC is performing well at school, has achieved above average scores in the cats and sats and is expected to get levels 5s across the board, despite having the issues described above. All the sats and cat results given were done before any problems had been realised, and are, of course, all timed, including the reading age and spelling age tests, putting DC at a disadvantage.???
bubbles

Re: should we appeal

Post by bubbles »

I think I've put this in the wrong place. How do I move it to the appeals section?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

bubbles wrote:I think I've put this in the wrong place. How do I move it to the appeals section?

I'll do that for you.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

Thank you :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome, bubbles! :)

Not having been through a review, at least you wouldn't have to worry about the 'fair, consistent & objective' test if you decide to appeal!

Good to know that you've done a lot of reading. It sounds as if you may have read the Q&As, in which case you'll have seen:
    • "A36. What are my chances at appeal?"
The year 5 SATs look fine. CATs are a bit borderline (but were taken without adjustments).

The EP report is the interesting development. Could you tell us a bit more about it?
What exactly were the scores and percentiles for verbal, perceptual, working memory and processing speed?
Did the EP calculate a Full Scale IQ (known as 'GCA' if BAS tests were used instead of WISC), or say that it wouldn't be fair to do so as it would be distorted by processing speed?
Etienne
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

HI,

Thank you for getting back to me.
Yes I did read A36, and am considering the appeal with regard to the extenuating circumstances, that have come to light, though I am not sure if we have a strong enough case.
In answer to your interest in the EP report:
Verbal: score = 91, percentile = 27
Perceptual Reasoning: score 127 percentile = 96
Working memory: score = 123 percentile = 94
Processing speed: score 88 percentile = 21

DC did do a full scale IQ for which DC's score =109, percentile = 73, although EP said that "given the range of the scores and the significant difference between DC's PRI and the other indexes it is suggested that this overall score is viewed tentatively."
I'm just thinking that if DC can achieve what has already been achieved at school with out any adjustments in place, for these problems, what is the potential with support and adjustments?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

EP said that "given the range of the scores and the significant difference between DC's PRI and the other indexes it is suggested that this overall score is viewed tentatively."
I couldn't agree more!

One can never predict the outcome of an appeal, but - with the 96th percentile for PRI, and no adjustments in place for the 11+ because of the late diagnosis - I suggest you take your case to an appeal panel to see what they think.

In other words, ask for a second opinion in the light of significant new information.
Etienne
bubbles

Re: should we appeal (Bucks)

Post by bubbles »

Thank you for your advice, it has definitely given us something to think about, and we may well now go down the route of an IAP.

The HT filled a form out for the selection review for us, which I got after looking at advice from this site, will this be sufficient, or will I need a more up to date one? I'm not sure the ht will be entirely willing.

Will the panel want to know why we didn't do the selection review?

Is it worth mentioning that DC put themselves under a lot of pressure as has older siblings at Grammar school?

Also could you explain to me the significance of a high PRI, when the verbal is so low. I guess the focus of our IAP would be around the fact that PRI is high, and verbal is hampered by slow processing?

Sorry for asking soooo many questions, I just feel that given the low 11+ score we have to get the most importanat, relevant information across, to stand any chance of success.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

bubbles wrote: The HT filled a form out for the selection review for us, which I got after looking at advice from this site, will this be sufficient, or will I need a more up to date one? I'm not sure the ht will be entirely willing.
Not at present.

If you are appealing, you could consider in the summer term whether there are any grounds for an update. (Headteachers tend to be reluctant to add to what they've already written, but might be willing to do so if there have been any significant changes.)
Will the panel want to know why we didn't do the selection review?
A 10% chance of their asking, I would guess.

Anyway, I'd recommend taking the initiative, because you have a very good explanation.
You could write:
    • We recognised that X's 11+ score was low, and we decided originally to accept the result and not to go to review.
      However, significant new information has come to light, and we now feel we owe it to our son to ask an independent panel to take a look at his case. We are just thinking that if X can achieve what has already been achieved at school without any adjustments in place, what is the potential with support and adjustments?
Is it worth mentioning that DC put themselves under a lot of pressure as has older siblings at Grammar school?
Definitely!
Also could you explain to me the significance of a high PRI, when the verbal is so low. I guess the focus of our IAP would be around the fact that PRI is high, and verbal is hampered by slow processing?
Agreed!
Sorry for asking soooo many questions, I just feel that given the low 11+ score we have to get the most importanat, relevant information across, to stand any chance of success.
Please let us know if we can be of any further help. :)
Etienne
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

All your advice so far, it has been really helpful.

No doubt as we go through the process more questions will crop up!!!! :roll:

Until then............
Thank you