Secondary school math book recommendation

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tabassum101

Secondary school math book recommendation

Post by Tabassum101 »

Hello :-),

My 11 year old loves maths and is asking for some secondary school math topics and books to go through and he wants to go through them by himself.

Can anyone please recommend some math text books or website with good explanations?

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Tabs.
ToadMum

Re: Secondary school math book recommendation

Post by ToadMum »

I'm sure there are loads but one which is free and easily accessible in BBC Bitesize.

(of course, the correct response is no doubt meant to be - you shouldn't let him look at any KS3 stuff until he is actually taught it in secondary school, but I can't see that it matters too much if he is looking somewhere which teaches correct methods...).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think Guest55 will be along and send you in the direction of the nrich website.

My DD did some in year 6, as homework from school. Some interesting stuff on there.
Tabassum101

Post by Tabassum101 »

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I did mention to him about learning the correct methods, but he wants to dabble and see how he gets on and I don't want to put a damper on his enthusiasm.

Will look up sites.

Thanks again :-).

Tabs.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

The primary .tags challenge produce a book, and also have a few questions on their web site: see link below for book on the site, worth a look if he likes problem solving.

http://www.m-a.org.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have promised boys we will make a rubber band geometry peg board over half term, as they played on the nrich virtual one. Great stuff. Although boys, nails, hammers, rubber bands. :shock:
Last edited by southbucks3 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

What could "possibly" go wrong?!!
Tabassum101

Post by Tabassum101 »

My son tried out the bbc bite site and loved it :-).

Tabs.
KB

Post by KB »

Would advice enrichment activities rather than going for straight KS3 work as its less about methods and more about mathematical thinking/problem solving.
If he is very able then covering KS3 work in advance will just make lessons even more boring!
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I'm assuming he's y6? You could look at done Singapore maths books - http://www.mathsnoproblem.co.uk/mathema ... ear-6.html says y6 but although they may cover roughly the same topics, they are more demanding in terms of having to actually think about things! There are text books which do have questions in too, and various workbooks that don't have explanation.

You've had the PMC book recommended, you could also look at the JMC and JMO questions from http://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-competitions/.

And yes, I definitely second the NRICH recommendation - he can investigate topics at various levels, and send in his own solutions if he wants :-)
Tabassum101

Post by Tabassum101 »

Thanks KB for pointing that out, I don't want him to get bored.

Aliportico, he is year 6. I will direct him towards the math challenges.

Great suggestions. Thanks :-).

Tabs.