Form Message Login problem

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SteveDH

Form Message Login problem

Post by SteveDH »

Hi
not sure if anyone else gets this, but quite often I'll write a lengthy message, click on submit and be asked to login, and loose my message.

Ok if I remember, I can click back, and the message is still there, and I can select and copy it, and then paste it after I have logged in, although occasionally that hasn't worked.

Its only started happening recently, so I'm not sure if something has changed this end, or that end.

Steve
ToadMum

Re: Form Message Login problem

Post by ToadMum »

It happens to me, too (is someone reading the messages as we type, and deciding which ones they would rather not have submitted??).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ToadMum wrote:It happens to me, too (is someone reading the messages as we type, and deciding which ones they would rather not have submitted??).
LOL! :lol:

No - honest!

Will ask programmer to have a look at this thread
programmer

Post by programmer »

This is happens quite rarely. Most likely blame is the browser that is being used.

SteveDH & ToadMum is it possible for you to tell me what browser you use and any other software such as anti-virus that clears browser cookies regularly?

Thanks.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

I suspect it happens when out if pure coincidence two posters submit a message at exactly the same time to the same thread. One super cedes the other.
programmer

Post by programmer »

Hi sbarnes,

These messages are processed as a queue, so it is unlikely that is the reason. Also in such situations, when there are new posts since you started typing yours, forum will inform you and ask for a confirmation before it processes yours.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It happens to me quite often on my phone (an iphone - though Chrome), and always has done.
scary mum
programmer

Post by programmer »

Also, another reason could be that your ISP is connecting you to Internet using different IP addresses every time you open a link or submit a form. This could possibly trigger the security mechanism in forum and logs you out.
programmer

Post by programmer »

A way to tell if your IP address keeps changing is by googling "IP" and it should tell your public IP address. See if this remains constant.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

programmer wrote:Also, another reason could be that your ISP is connecting you to Internet using different IP addresses every time you open a link or submit a form. This could possibly trigger the security mechanism in forum and logs you out.
hmm could be, I have a dual wan.

some more info.
If I look in the top left corner it has the 'Logout [SteveDH]' visible.
this happens both when trying to post after being automatically logged in, and after explicitly login in.
I'm going to check the wan thing, I've now locked it to a single ip to see what happens.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now