OMG March 3 - The Answer...or fresh **** of waiting list?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
silverysea

OMG March 3 - The Answer...or fresh **** of waiting list?

Post by silverysea »

My DD is doing my head in, all those blimmin' 11+ calendar/date questions have made her very AWARE of the Big Day looming. She mentions it every day! Eldest never bothers about stuff like this, very laid back, que sera, whatever, but dd2 a very different creature!

Now she wants to go out and celebrate at a restaurant, whichever way it turns out, at least she said I can open envelopes-DH has to work late darn it.

And I have to keep working out then explaining the waiting list thing to both, that we may STILL not know....agony!
Yamin151

Re: OMG March 3 - The Answer...or fresh **** of waiting list

Post by Yamin151 »

I think mine are aware too. I never mention it myself, to them, but I am quite sure it comes up a LOT at school. I think it is making them rather anxious actually,especially the one of mine (twin boys, no stress there then!) that is nearer to last years cut off, so cannot be sure at all. And no 'safety net' school!
IHOP

Post by IHOP »

Hello :-)

We have it all worked out this end: Birthday treat on the Sunday, email on the Monday, birthday itself on the Tuesday. Fingers crossed it's all good news but either way, plenty to take our minds off the waiting.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Yamin151. No safety net school? Uh-oh. What is the plan then? Twins plus school entrance equals stress doesn't it? We have a safety net comprehensive luckily for us, but the thought of battling with them for seven more years to get some challenge and appropriate academic expectations makes my heart sink. The pushy parent crown weighs very heavy on my head.

IHOP. That was good planning to have a birthday at just the right moment! :wink: You are right, we have a super-busy half-term and that seems to have pushed thoughts of secondary transition down nicely-for the moment!

I think this dd is just prone to think ahead and micromanage things-can't imagine where it came from. :roll: yesterday she complained that she didn't have enough time to sort out her books because of a visit to granny-would normally be thrilled.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

silverysea wrote:Yamin151. No safety net school? Uh-oh. What is the plan then? Twins plus school entrance equals stress doesn't it? We have a safety net comprehensive luckily for us, but the thought of battling with them for seven more years to get some challenge and appropriate academic expectations makes my heart sink. The pushy parent crown weighs very heavy on my head.

We have 5 schools listed, but behind the grammars the other three are none them a 'guaranteed', that would only be the local comp which we didn't like, others are local catholic (though we are not) and more distant secondaries. I guess we hope! It's only one child as other should be fairly safely in first choice, and other would have been last year too.
Homeschool and waiting list?

Hard, this parenting lark isn't it?

By contrast I do not want the less sure twin to be in too stressful an environment.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I would do homeschool and waiting list- did that for primary a few years ago and wouldn't hesitate to do again.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

silverysea wrote:I would do homeschool and waiting list- did that for primary a few years ago and wouldn't hesitate to do again.
I wouldn't hesitate if it meant that the son involved felt happy and thrived. I know its perfectly do-able. But would be short term, I don't necessarily want to do it long term, though I realise that is perfectly possible too. There is an excellent school 10 mins away but we are not in catchment and its part of a three tier system, so that is also a possibility, year 9 entry with homeschooling, but we'll see, hopefully won't come to that.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Homeschooling is very hard work IMO but has its rewards. And problems....
um

Post by um »

Just out of interest, how long did you homeschool for, SilverySea?
I'm doing it at the moment (although dd should make a grammar for September based on scores) and am still mulling over all the options (state and indie, and I'm moving house, anyway) for the younger children.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Only 4 months.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now