Whitgift and Trinity Offers - Indie over Grammar?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
HSP2201

Whitgift and Trinity Offers - Indie over Grammar?

Post by HSP2201 »

Now that Whitgift and Trinity Schools have sent out their offer letters last week. Curious to know, for those parents who applied for grammar and independent, out of the 400 boys who passed Wilson's and 586 boys who passed Wallington, what school are you going for?

We very disappointed, even though we have received an offer from Whitgift, we are unable to accept offer as no Bursary offered at all. We have been asked to pay full £17,000 fee, which on our income we just can't do. Have no idea how to tell our son yet as he will be so disappointed and will not understand the financial aspect of this.

He missed Wilson's by 30 Marks and passed Wallington but with the huge number of boys passing Wallington, we have accepted that our son will not get offered Wallington.

So, are many of you waiting until March to make your final decision?
hermanmunster

Re: Whitgift and Trinity Offers - Indie over Grammar?

Post by hermanmunster »

HSP I am sorry to hear that you didn't get the bursary you had hoped for, there really is limited money in the pot for these. I am sure your son will understand when you explain that your finances are not limitless.

I think, however , that a lot of people will wait until after March 3rd to make their final decisions, so there will be some movement in the lists.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hedwig

Post by Hedwig »

Hold fire until National Offer Day - there is always plenty of movement in the following weeks. You may find that he is offered one of your favoured schools in March anyway and there is always hope after that.

DS3 was offered an academic scholarship at his independent school of choice. However we will still wait until March as he really likes the idea of Wilsons (his first choice) as I would like him to make an informed choice. We are not eligible for any kind of bursary and, with 4 children to consider, I am still thinking about both schools as financially no fees are better than some fees!

Don't forget that the numbers look better than ever this year; Wilsons and Sutton appear to have increased intake numbers and very many boys sitting for those schools will also sit for St Olaves/Tiffin and the very many independent schools in the surrounding areas - Dulwich, Alleyns, Eltham as well as Whitgift/Trinity.
HSP2201

Post by HSP2201 »

Thank you all for your kind words and reassurance. I do understand that the Bursary pot is small and number of spaces at grammar schools limited. As suggested, will see what happens in March.

Congratulations to you and your children for doing so well, the children are the ones who have put in so much effort preparing for eleven plus exams. They truely deserve their success.

I'm aware that some grammar schools are increasing their intake for Sept 2015 but haven't seen any such updates on websites stating increased intake for this Sept 2014.

Anyway, once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and advice. Much appreciated.

Best of luck to all.

HSP2201
silverlining2014

Post by silverlining2014 »

Hi Ladymuck
Would you be able to guide us on scholarship ? Did your DS get academic, DT or sports scholarship. Would you know anyone getting Design Technology scholarship from Trinity/Whitgift , i need to fill the form in 2 weeks, and need some pointers.

Thanks
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Have responded to your PM.
Humblebeginnings

Post by Humblebeginnings »

Hi LadyMuck,

My son would love to give the trinity 13+ a shot. We would really love some advice on how to prepare for the apllication forms/test/interview. My son is quiet bright and very sporty (competes at county level), however we are not the typical family that attends these types of schools but he really wants to give it a shot as he knows what having access to the facilities and teaching could do for his life. I actually feel really apprehensive about applying but I know if I do not help him to try and achieve his goal I will be letting him down. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Humble beginnings