Panic - February half-term revision

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesh

Panic - February half-term revision

Post by Minesh »

Burnt out seems to be message from DC - too early, 8 weeks away, revision starts EAster!
Also teachers not encouraging revision - lots of DC's friends gone skiing

What do experienced teachers/ parents think??
what should be happening now?? :?:
aliportico

Re: Panic - February half-term revision

Post by aliportico »

My y11 is doing textiles as she has her practical exam next week. Apart from that, it's mostly watching the curling :-)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Let him/her have a rest! If you really want them to do some work maybe look at some past papers/ mark schemes. There is Easter & then study leave (probably). Or they could design a nice revision timetable, which is what DD would do!
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I worry when they 'leave it to Easter' - a late Easter, like this year, is too late to start!

Mocks should have given a fair idea of their own gaps and that is what I've told mine to start to plug.

I have worked out plans for 'whole class' areas to explore and I'll be dropping bits of that in every week from now on.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

scary mum wrote:Let him/her have a rest! If you really want them to do some work maybe look at some past papers/ mark schemes. There is Easter & then study leave (probably). Or they could design a nice revision timetable, which is what DD would do!

Oh, my revision timetables were legendary! :lol: :lol:
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

I've told my students to start revising. It's the first year of linear for many subjects. 2 years to revise!!
The exams start 2 weeks after the Easter holidays!
Easter is far too late IMO
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

DS's mocks are next week so no let up here. Actually quite pleased they are late as means that he has had to do some work over the hols!!
Lots of art preparation to do as well so everything seems to be ticking over.
copella

Post by copella »

I have encouraged my ds to start revising from now by going over notes and looking for gaps. Easter is too late. His first exams (4 on that date) are on the 12th May. If he waits till April it will be too late. He also has a music performance and an Isa to finish. Most of his exams are linear and although he took maths gcse in Nov instead of a space he now has to study the new Btec level 3 algebra. There seems so much more pressure than when I did my o levels.

So I would advise start now and begin past papers over Easter to be confident. Past papers have really been the thing which have helped my ds in his other exams helping him to hone his technique.
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

DS2 has a revision timetable that started on 1 February - with 2 subjects a day. It has meant that he is getting into the habit of revising and is finding areas that are lacking in certain subjects - which then means that he is able to find the appropriate subject teacher and persecute them until he is fully happy with the topic! To be fair, most of the teachers are fantastic and are giving up time to help him.

He has factored in events like sports tours and exams on his timetable and is working round them to ensure that the revision still gets done. Believe you me, this is not normal behaviour!!! We're liking the change - and hoping that it will help him when it comes to working for A/S levels as the new work ethic is a step in the right direction to help with the massive jump coming for next year!

Revision is made an awful lot easier these days as I feel that those with different learning styles can be better accommodated with a lot of online information and videoed lessons. So whilst it's still revision some of it is a lot less onerous than looking in books for hours on end.

DS2 is not academic - at all - but he has a target having been giving an amazing opportunity for sixth form - so he sees the timetable as a means to an end - hopefully enabling to achieve, at least, the grades he needs.
KB

Post by KB »

Would suggest going through mocks with DC and figuring out where the issues are then coming up with a plan of action to deal with them.
Then formulate a revision plan that allows time for plenty of practice papers.
By Easter it should be the final run in, certainly not a time to be starting.
Hopefully if you get Dc to look at what needs doing he will be less inclined to put off making a start.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now