Changing Primary School

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

two of three

Changing Primary School

Post by two of three »

Due to a likely change in location of my current job and some unhappiness with the new HT of his current school, I am looking to change DC3's primary school for the start of year 5.
I have never changed any of my childrens schools before so have no idea how to go about it. My LEA's website is currently down so unable to access advise there. How do you go about finding school places at this stage, can the LEA give me a list of schools that have year 4 not full, or do I need to ring each possible school individually?
djy76

Re: Changing Primary School

Post by djy76 »

Hi twoofthree,

I changed DC2's school in yr4, I spoke to the school had a look round but they were unable to tell me whether they had any spaces (but could tell me how many were in the class currently) - this is because the LEA are in charge of admissions, they may have other applications for the school so if you are one of three applicants for two places it will go on admissions criteria (usually distance, siblings etc)..

I had to fill in a mid-year form send to LEA and then chase them but once we heard we were moved schools in 10 days.

Hope that helps a little
djy
mystery

Post by mystery »

If you like the school make sure you are put on the waiting list. You can appeal once for each school year too.
Hera

Post by Hera »

We changed primary schools for 3 kids after moving. I tried to speak to the schools direct but unless they are voluntary aided they have no input or control in the admissions. We applied through the LA but were rejected for all of them, appealed but didn't win the appeals, however we got 2 into our preferred school within 1 to 3 terms and one in another school ( a VA one) which hadn't been on our initial application. We were then offered the second choice for this child but it wasn't worth moving again as it was the start of year 6 by then. If the schools are good they tend to be over subscribed (where we are at least) and they all told us that they were highly likely to have no movement which proved not to be the case, so it is definitely worth going on the waiting lists. Good luck.
ptolemy

Post by ptolemy »

Call the individual schools and have a look around before you decide. Usually, for in_year transfers, they say whether they have any places available and ask you to apply to the LEA. Once you send off the form stating your preferences, LEA contacts the individual schools, by order of preference to confirm if they have spaces available. They then send you a letter offering admission. And yes, you will have to chase up for a quick transfer. Good luck!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Many schools (all those with academy status for a start) manage their own admissions now and the LA has no involvement whatsoever. I helped a friend whose daughter moved schools last year and it was all done in-house. The school was full so she had to appeal, or at least was told she had to, but a place suddenly became available. The appeal would also have been managed by the school itself.
two of three

Post by two of three »

OK thanks for that. The schools in the area I would be looking at, we would be several miles out of catchment for, so unfortunately I dont think waiting lists are likely to be an option. I was hoping I could access a list of schools with places available, to then visit and short list from but it doesn't sound like it works that way. Fortunately I don't need a quick transfer, the move across town of my work department will take a while.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It is worth going on waiting lists and waiting for places. They do come up. You may find there are no places currently at any school you like. You can apply for the school, be turned down, go on the waiting list, then appeal.

Waiting lists are held in priority order according to the admission policy.

Catchment areas don't really come into it unless the admissions policy talks about giving priority to children from certain named areas etc.

For appeals purposes the admissions policy is irrelevant. You could live a million miles from the school.

Don't be fobbed off by school office staff who tell you it is not worth trying. At ks2 there is no legal limit to the number of children that can be shoe horned into a class!