Grammar vs indie

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Schoolmum

Grammar vs indie

Post by Schoolmum »

My daughter has passed the 11+ grammar tests and also passed the local independent selective school test with a small scholarship, what is better thought of?
Ladymuck

Re: Grammar vs indie

Post by Ladymuck »

Depends entirely on the specific schools, and often the specific child.
lefol

Post by lefol »

I agree . It really depends on the schools. Some indies are performing quite low in terms of gcses and as such you can get a better idea of you name the specific schools you wish to compare . Some indies offer a range of extra curricular activities but then it depends on if dd or ds is interested . In year 7, ds1 was not interested in most of the activities offered in his school as his friends were not doing them and they were seen as uncool and not v macho !

Therefore , in choosing indie over grammar , I will look at results as you expect to pay for good results , extra curricular and if the child is interested in the same and if it is worth paying for .
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I think you also ought to out into the mix whether your dc would benefit from the more nurturing support of a smaller class size, that's what I liked when I went to a private school after an ordinary comprehensive, and I would imagine that this can be a benefit vs grammar if you would like your dc to be somewhere where help is easier to get if they need it.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think if you search back through the threads on here you will find quite a few that address this topic, with fervent advocates on either side. One of my children has done both - in summary pretty much as Yamin said - liked the nurturing environment of an indie and the friendlier ethos, but feels the grammar is better academically. Much happier at the indie - but think sublime to ridiculous or frying pan to fire and you have our situation - ie very gentle low-key indie to high-flying cut-throat GS. If you are looking at high-flying cut-throat indie I would certainly not even entertain the idea - you can get that in the state sector. Some children maybe need a lower key, gentler environment which is provided by what some on here rather disparagingly call 'lower tier' independent schools, and I think there is a case which can be made for that for certain types of children, if you have the money. And for some parents flash sporting or musical provision is important and state schools generally can't compete there, so if that is driving you, then maybe go independent.

Knowing what I know now, some 20+ years working in and now studying education, and mother of three, there is no way I personally would pay for schooling again, unless something I can't imagine now arose - it would certainly be for pastoral rather than academic reasons, as I think many schools are such pressure cookers now that lots of children struggle to survive. But everyone has to reach a decision they are comfortable with and I know there are those who feel independent schools are academically superior. I don't. :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber +1 :wink:

I sometimes wonder about some indies in GS areas. They often have good results but the results are often because they attract kids who also passed 11 plus and would have got grades at either. They offer scholarships to attract but ultimately the parents of these kids are paying for the school to have a better reputation academically.

My experience of indies at primary level was that the smaller classes and less obsessional adherence to curriculum and no SATS was great - and can imagine it would make all the difference at senior level too in some cases.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I am not sure if this is a genuine questions but grammar vs indie on this forum???? Hmmm. :D

Mind you these always make entertaining reading judging by the number of responses and emotions they garner. My guess is mods don't like these threads as they tend to keep them on their toes. :oops:
Impossible is Nothing.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

sherry_d wrote:I am not sure if this is a genuine questions but grammar vs indie on this forum???? Hmmm. :D

Mind you these always make entertaining reading judging by the number of responses and emotions they garner. My guess is mods don't like these threads as they tend to keep them on their toes. :oops:
There is an indie section on the forum so bound to be some discussion!- however as you say it can get lively (which is fine so long as it doesn't get super nasty and we miss it as we are too busy cleaning the dungeon :mrgreen: )

FWIW I have had kids at both types of school and know that others mods have experience of both too. Big section of the forum is geared to advice about appeals etc and of course this is only for state schools.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Given the wide range of topics on the forum and the generally mature level of debate, I think it is fine, isn't it? Personally I think the geographical bias is a bigger issue - a northern poster on this section hasn't had (m)any answers to her questions, nor even support, as she isn't looking at some of the big London schools; and the appeals section is dominated by one area too. I suppose, though, that it is demand led and the name of the website would put off many who were interested either in independent schooling, or in wider educational issues. Shame really, but it is what it is and doesn't aim to cover everything. There are advantages to being small. :D

I reckon the mods don't object to too much as long as people are civil, respectful, decent and not on here just to show off...
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I was in this situation last year only DS had passed for an indie with a small scholarship and I was faced with an appeal for a GS place and I was a bit torn that ds would be better served by the small classes and a co-ed school rather than all boys. As it happens DS has ended up in the GS and despite all my concerns is doing very well and is happy. I am a bit of a believer in gut instinct so it very much depends on what feels right for you and your child.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now