Music (WJEC) vs Computer Science (OCR)

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mandelbaum

Music (WJEC) vs Computer Science (OCR)

Post by mandelbaum »

DS had intended to take Music as his last GCSE subject, but then Computer Science caught his interest. He understands the difference between Computer Science and ICT but as it is a new subject for us, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the course? Any thoughts regarding Music vs Computer Science would also be very welcome. Thanks.
KB

Re: Music (WJEC) vs Computer Science (OCR)

Post by KB »

Its worth having a look back at some recent threads on GCSE choices as there has been quite a bit of discussion about the two subjects.
In summary though, a certain level of interest and commitment seems to be required for both but music probably requires greater time and hard work.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Unlike ICT I believe computer science is quite highly thought of. I have no idea about course content though.
KB

Post by KB »

Computing is more about programming where as IT is about using software and the basics of what hardware is available etc.
Computing is seen as more of a 'proper' subject but it isn't a requirement for further study in Computer Science.

The exam board web site should give details.

Worth remembering that for music and computing there will be students for whom it is 'their thing'.
mandelbaum

Post by mandelbaum »

Thank you for your thoughts. DS has looked at the content of both courses and seemed to be slightly in favour of Computer Science - although up to now he never struck me as particularly computer driven, whereas he has been enjoying to play different instruments for some time. Maybe it is the 'newness' of the subject that he is drawn to.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

mandelbaum - there is slightly more info from people in the topic I started, a few threads down the list.

tinkers - I asked the question about how ict is seen in my thread as I was sure that I'd read that on here previously that it wasn't well respected. Is that still the case with igcse too?

Thanks
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

My DS1 took it. He is a Maths wiz and found it 'easy'. According to him, the easiest one.
mandelbaum

Post by mandelbaum »

Just to update this thread - DS chose music in the end. One term into it, he particularly - and in fact thoroughly - enjoys the composition side of Music. Thought I'd mention it as initially weren't sure about this part of the specification and might be interesting for those choosing their subjects in the coming months. Thanks again for all your helpful advice.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now