Appeal process

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fred

Appeal process

Post by Fred »

Living in the Bucks area we are currently making an appeal for entry to a grammar school. My child was expected to achieve the necessary mark but just failed to do so.

We received the appeal summary sheet from the head – which was also sent to the independent appeals panel, and we have a date booked for early Feb.

Since the summary sheet appeared a little negative, we decided to get statements of our child’s abilities from his teachers – these were more glowing than we could have imagined.

Statements in the summary are not reflected in the end of year 5 reports, nor in the results that our child is achieving, not in the letters from the teachers. The head refuses to see any inconsistency when there clearly is.

I do have all more details of course, but for now wondered what the next should be.

We have an appeal date set but the purpose of this appeal is not to address the validity of the Head’s appeal summary form, and I am of the opinion that even with the teachers’ letters, the appeal would not stand chance of being a run fairly.

What should be done if we consider the summary is way, way of mark?

Thanks.
Katie

Post by Katie »

goodness - I feel so sorry to hear this. We launched an appeal knowing full well that our school of choice never upholds any appeals for any reason whatsoever (not disability / emotional / family reasons - nothing).
We did however feel that we had no option but to appeal as our child was academically suited to being there.
Sometimes you have to consider how you may feel if you later start to wonder what might have happened. I would bayyen down the hatches and gve it a go. Just be prepared to accept failure at the end if necessary. :( Have a very good second choice of school ready just in case (we didn't) and don't ever discuss it in front of the child!
Hope that helps!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Fred,

If you copy your post into the Appeals section you may get more replies - there is a wealth of experience to help you with Bucks appeals!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

I note the original posting was 2.5 years ago - I hope that it all resolved and that DD or DS is settled in school.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Ooops - that will teach me to read the date of the first post!!
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

LOL..